West Coast Motors
|Service area||Argyll & Bute
|Service type||Bus, coach and ferry services|
|Fleet||191 (November 2013)|
|Chief executive||Colin Craig|
The founding of the company dates back to 1923 when Jack Craig commenced a bus operation in Campbeltown. In 1935 William Craig convinced the Royal Mail to allow him to commence an overnight road service from Campbeltown to Glasgow in lieu of transporting mail by ship. West Coast Motors would remain a Royal Mail contractor until October 2011.
In 1950 the business of Dickies of Tarbert was purchased with the service between East and West Loch Tarbert piers. In 1955 haulage company West Coasts Transport was formed. After purchasing James McPhee Haulage and Ramsays Haulage in 1963, the business was sold to the British Road Services in 1966.
In 1970 the McConnachies business was purchased resulting in West Coast operating all Kintyre services. In 1982 McColls of Benderloch was purchased with the Oban to Benderloch and Easdale services. In 1986 Stag Garage of Lochgilphead was purchased with services to Ford, Kilmartin and Ormsary. In 1999 the Oban & District Buses business was purchased.
In 2004 West Coast commenced operating in Bute and Cowal taking over services from Stagecoach with depots in Dunoon and Rothesay. In 2006 the Oban to Dalavich service was purchased from LF Stewart & Son Limited and Kilberry and Skipness services from D&E Henderson Hiring. Also purchased in 2006 was Glasgow Citybus.
In January 2008 the City Sightseeing franchise in Glasgow was purchased followed in 2009 by the Kintyre Express ferry operation. In 2011 Kintyre Express commenced operating a ferry service from Campbeltown to Ballycastle.
In February 2016, Perryman's Buses of Berwick-upon-Tweed was purchased with 45 vehicles. Perryman's operates a network of bus, coach and tour services across the Scottish Borders and in North Northumberland. It began operation in 1972 as a family-run taxi business in Burnmouth before expanding into local bus operation and moving its base to Berwick-upon-Tweed. In 2013 the then-independent company opened a second depot in St Boswells following the winning of tenders for a number of routes previously operated by Munro's of Jedburgh. Shortly after West Coast Motors acquired Perryman's, it took over several services from First Scotland East.
As at November 2013, West Coast operates a fleet of 191 buses and coaches.
Aside from the local stage carriage, West Coast Motors has since 1986 run express services on behalf of Citylink, predominantly on the Campbeltown to Glasgow service, but also on routes serving Oban, Dundee, Edinburgh, Fort William, Inverness and the Isle of Skye. In May 2008 the company refused to sign a new contract to operate Citylink routes in the Highlands, and launched a series of routes in competition with Citylink. Two months later the services were withdrawn and a new contract signed which saw West Coast Motors resume Citylink operation in September 2008.
As of January 2014, West Coast Motors operates buses on the following Citylink routes:
- 918 Oban - Fort William
- 926 Campbeltown - Glasgow
- 976 Oban - Glasgow
- Companies House extract company no SC033868 Craig of Campbeltown Limited
- About Us West Coast Motors
- Scots take-over Commercial Motor 12 December 1969
- Companies House extract company no SC092820 Oban & District Buses Limited
- How the West Coast was won and run Herald Scotland 19 July 2008
- Companies House extract company no SC105515 LF Stewart & Son Limited
- Home Kintyre Express
- New Passenger Only Ferry for Ireland-Scotland Route Afloat Ireland 14 January 2011
- Companies House extract company no SC073385 Bowmans Coaches (Mull) Limited
- West Coast expands in Bowman's purchase Bus & Coach Professional 4 June 2013
- Companies House extract company no SC095682 Fairline Coaches Limited
- West Coast buys Fairline Bus & Coach Professional 21 November 2013
- Perryman's Buses taken over by West Coast Motors The Scotsman 26 February 2016
- Bus jobs boost...but Munro's misses out Selkirk Weekend Advertiser 20 June 2013
- Tender losses force Munro's closure Bus & Coach Professional 10 July 2013
- Perryman's set to take over threatened Borders bus routes Border Telegraph 15 July 2016
- New bus services for Hawick, Peebles and Selkirk ITV News 15 July 2016
- Citylink and Westcoast Motors sign new deal Citylink 14 July 2008