West Dean, Wiltshire
Cottages, West Dean
West Dean shown within Wiltshire
|Population||252 (in 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||West Dean|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
|UK Parliament||South West Wiltshire|
West Dean is a village, civil parish and former manor in Wiltshire (historically in Hampshire), England, situated on the Wiltshire/Hampshire border. The village is on the River Dun about 7 miles (11 km) east of Salisbury.
A Roman villa site straddles the present-day Wiltshire/Hampshire border. The village was mentioned in the Cartularium saxonicum for the year 880 as (æt) Deone, as Duene in the Domesday Book of 1086 (one of the 51 holdings of Waleran the Hunter), as Westdone in 1265, and as Westdune in 1270.
The Salisbury and Southampton Canal was opened through the parish in 1802 or 1803 but was never completed as far as Salisbury; it closed in 1806.
Much of the northern half of the parish is woodland, including Bentley Wood which contains a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- The geographic coordinates are from the Ordnance Survey.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Victoria County History, Vol.4: Hampshire, 1911, pp.519-524, Parishes: West Tytherley with Buckholt, Manors: West Dean
- Historic England. "Roman villa at West Dean (222998)". PastScape. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Ekwall, Eilert, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 4th edition, 1960. p. 140. ISBN 0198691033.
- "Site Records - Dean Hill Royal Naval Armaments Depot". Subterranea Britannica. 5 December 2003. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Borbach Chantry". Images of England. Historic England. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- "West Dean, Salisbury". Churches Conservation Trust. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- Historic England. "Church of St Mary, West Dean (1135718)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "New Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Dean". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Methodist Chapel, West Dean". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
Media related to West Dean, Wiltshire at Wikimedia Commons
- "West Dean". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Village Design Statement, West Dean parish council, February 2009
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|