West Farms Square–East Tremont Avenue (IRT White Plains Road Line)
West Farms Square–East Tremont Avenue
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
View from the southbound platform, looking north
|Address||East Tremont Avenue & Boston Road
Bronx, NY 10460
|Locale||Crotona Park East, West Farms|
|Line||IRT White Plains Road Line|
|Services||2 (all times)
5 (all except late nights and rush hours, peak direction)
|Transit connections||NYCT Bus: Bx9, Bx21, Bx36, Bx40, Bx42, Q44 SBS|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||November 26, 1904|
|Former/other names||East 177th Street|
|Passengers (2016)||2,465,907  1.1%|
|Rank||203 out of 422|
|Next north||East 180th Street: 2 5
180th Street–Bronx Park (demolished; connection severed after demolition)
|Next south||174th Street: 2 5|
West Farms Square–East Tremont Avenue (formerly East 177th Street) is a local station on the IRT White Plains Road Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of East Tremont Avenue and Boston Road in the Crotona Park East, and the West Farms section's of the Bronx, it is served by the 2 train at all times, and the 5 train at all other times except during late nights on weekdays and rush hours in the peak direction.
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Southbound local||← toward Flatbush Avenue weekdays, South Ferry weekends (174th Street)
← toward Flatbush Avenue except AM rush, evenings and late night weekdays, Bowling Green evenings (174th Street)
|Peak-direction express||← does not stop here (rush hours only) →|
|Northbound local||→ weekdays ( weekends) toward 241st Street (East 180th Street) →
→ ( weekdays except late night and PM rush hour) ( weekends) toward Dyre Avenue (East 180th Street) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|M||Mezzanine||Station agent, MetroCard vending machines, fare control|
|G||Street Level||Exit / Entrance
This elevated station, opened on November 26, 1904 and situated on a high curve, has three tracks and two side platforms. The center track is used by the 5 train during rush hours in peak direction. The northbound platform is longer than the southbound one and can fit about 12 cars.
On November 1, 1951, a contract for the construction of a mezzanine was awarded to Amdor Structures Incorporated. The mezzanine connected the subway station with a new escalator in Boston Road near the Bronx Zoo.
Both platforms have beige windscreens with green frames and outlines and green canopies with red roofs on their northern half and gray, waist-high, steel fences with lammposts at regular intervals on their southern half. The station name signs are in the standard black name plate in white lettering.
The 2004 artwork here is called Animal Tracks by Naomi Andrée Campbell. It consists of 450 square feet in 13 faceted glass murals on the platform windscreens depicting images related to the Bronx Zoo, which is several blocks to the north.
This station has two elevated station houses below the platforms and tracks. The full-time one is at the center. Two staircases from each platform go down to a crossunder, where doors lead to a waiting area. Outside the turnstile bank that provides access to and from the station, there is a token booth, two staircases going down to the northeast corner of East Tremont Avenue and Boston Road, and one staircase and one enclosed escalator going down to the northwest corner. The station's other station house at the north end is unstaffed, containing one staircase from the northwest corner of East 178th Street and Boston Road, a set of High Entry-Exit Turnstiles, and two staircases to each platform.
- "Station Developers' Information". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership 2011–2016". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. May 31, 2017. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- "5 Train". 2013-03-09. Archived from the original on March 9, 2013. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "West Farms Square-East Tremont Avenue (2,5)-The SubwayNut". www.subwaynut.com. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "Station Contract Let". New York Times. November 2, 1951. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "www.nycsubway.org: Artwork: Animal Tracks (Naomi Campbell)". www.nycsubway.org. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "MTA - Arts for Transit | NYCT Permanent Art". web.mta.info. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "www.nycsubway.org: IRT White Plains Road Line". www.nycsubway.org. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Bronx Zoo" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Showing Photos 1-50 of 310". www.nycsubway.org. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Farms Square – East Tremont Avenue (IRT White Plains Road Line).|