West Footscray railway station
Eastbound view from platform 2 in May 2014 with the Regional Rail Link tracks to the right
|Location||Sunshine Road, West Footscray|
|Distance||7.33 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side), middle platform disconnected|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 October 1888|
|Rebuilt||14 October 2013|
West Footscray railway station is located on the Sunbury line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the western Melbourne suburb of West Footscray. Two dual gauge tracks run north of the station forming the South Kensington – West Footscray freight line, linking the Port of Melbourne and other freight terminals to the rest of the state. The tracks also form part of the Melbourne – Sydney standard gauge line. The Regional Rail Link lines run to the south of the station.
The station opened on the 1 October 1888 as Footscray West being renamed West Footscray on 1 September 1912. The original stations buildings were reconstructed in 1976. In 2013 the station was rebuilt 200 metres further west to accommodate two lines to the south as part of the Regional Rail Link project. The new station opened on 14 October 2013 and the old station was demolished. A third platform has been built to the north of the existing platform as part of the Metro Tunnel project, to allow terminating services to operate. Work commenced in late 2018 and the platform was opened on 6 July 2020.
Facilities, platforms & services
West Footscray has one island platform with two sides and one side platform. Access to the platforms is provided by stairs, lifts and ramps from an overhead footbridge which also contains a cycling path. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Sunbury line services. Express services do not stop at West Footscray station.
- Flinders Street. all stations services to
Platform 2 (currently closed):
- formerly Platform 1 up until the side platform opened in July 2020. To be reopened as a turnback platform upon opening of the Metro Tunnel in 2025.
CDC Melbourne operate three routes via West Footscray station:
- 411: Footscray station – Laverton station
- 412: Footscray station – Laverton station
- 414: Footscray station – Laverton station
Sita Buslines operates one route via West Footscray station:
- West Footscray Vicsig
- Vincent Adams Winter (1990). VR and VicRail: 1962–1983. p. 106. ISBN 0-9592069-3-0.
- West Footscray railway station Regional Rail Link
- New Train Station Opens in West Footscray Minister for Public Transport 13 October 2013
- Bridie Byrne (14 October 2013). "Brand new train station at West Footscray officially opened". Maribyrnong Leader. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- Construction at West Footscray Station Metro Tunnell
- West Footscray next in line for housing boom along Melbourne's railways The Age 27 November 2016
- Overhaul for new West Footscray station Star Weekly 26 April 2016
- "Sunbury Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "411 Laverton Station - Footscray via Altona Meadows & Altona & Millers Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "412 Laverton Station - Footscray via Altona Meadows & Altona & Mills St". Public Transport Victoria.
- "414 Laverton Station - Footscray via Geelong Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "472 Williamstown - Moonee Ponds via Footscray". Public Transport Victoria.