West Franklin Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
West Franklin Township, Pennsylvania
U.S. Route 422 in West Franklin Township
Map of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania highlighting West Franklin Township
Map of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||26.08 sq mi (67.55 km2)|
|• Land||26.08 sq mi (67.55 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||67.83/sq mi (26.19/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
West Franklin Township is located in western Armstrong County, bordering Butler County. It completely surrounds the borough of Worthington. U.S. Route 422 runs through the township connecting Kittanning and Butler. Buffalo Creek, a tributary of the Allegheny River, flows southward through the township.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,935 people, 748 households, and 575 families residing in the township. The population density was 73.6 people per square mile (28.4/km²). There were 804 housing units at an average density of 30.6/sq mi (11.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.28% White, 0.16% Asian, 0.36% from other races, and 0.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.78% of the population.
There were 748 households, out of which 32.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.6% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.1% were non-families. 19.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 2.96.
The township median age of 39 years was slightly less than the county median age of 40 years. The distribution by age group was 23.7% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 30.2% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $33,616, and the median income for a family was $37,042. Males had a median income of $29,740 versus $19,141 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,423. About 8.2% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.3% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
West Franklin Township appears in the 1876 Atlas of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.
- Franklin Union Baptist Church Cemetery
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): West Franklin township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer/ The National Map, retrieved 23 October 2018
- https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/StateGameLands/Documents/SGL%20Maps/SGL__259.pdf Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 259, retrieved 23 October 2018
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Atlas of Armstrong County Pennsylvania, page 86". Pomeroy, Whitman & Co. 1876. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Franklin Union Baptist Church Cemetery". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.