West Freeway Church of Christ shooting
|West Freeway Church of Christ shooting|
|Location||1900 S Las Vegas Trail|
White Settlement, Texas, U.S.
|Date||December 29, 2019|
|Weapons||Sawed-off shotgun (12-gauge)|
|Deaths||3 (including the perpetrator)|
|Perpetrator||Keith Thomas Kinnunen|
The West Freeway Church of Christ shooting took place on December 29, 2019, in White Settlement, Texas, United States. Two people in the congregation were killed before the gunman was fatally shot by a volunteer security guard. The attack was live-streamed, as are all services at the church. Video of the shooting appeared online in real time, and was captured, leading to multiple Twitter posts and YouTube videos showing the actual crime in progress.
The perpetrator shot and killed two members of the church before he was fatally shot by Jack Wilson, another church member, ending the attack within six seconds. The victims were Anton Wallace, age 64, and Richard White, age 67. Wilson is a firearms instructor and a former reserve deputy sheriff in Hood County, Texas.
The gunman was identified as Keith Thomas Kinnunen, age 43, of River Oaks, Texas. He was wearing a fake beard and a wig and immediately raised the suspicions of the security deacons serving the church.
Given that an armed church member shot and killed the attacker with the church member's concealed firearm, preventing the attack from continuing and more lives being taken, gun-rights advocates are using the shooting as an example of the benefits of private citizens carrying firearms.
Michael Bloomberg responded to the shooting by saying that only law enforcement officers should be allowed to carry guns and make decisions on when to shoot active shooters, generating controversy.
- Daingerfield church shooting
- Sutherland Springs church shooting
- List of shootings in Texas
- Crime in Texas
- Live streaming crime
- Eric Levenson; Konstantin Toropin; Amir Vera. "Texas pastor says he knew and helped the gunman before the shooting". CNN.
- "Police: Parishioners kill man who fatally shoots 2 at church". December 30, 2019.
- "Church's Head of Security Says He 'Killed an Evil,' Not a Human in Taking Down Gunman". NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- News, A. B. C. "Armed parishioner says he's 'no hero,' as new details emerge about the Texas church shooter". ABC News. Retrieved 2020-01-02.
- "'We Knew He Was Crazy, But Not Like This,' Ex-Wife of Church Gunman Says".
- "Texas church shooter wore suspicious wig and fake beard, says security head who shot him | National Post". December 31, 2019.
- "Gun-Rights Advocates See Lessons in Texas Church Shooting". The Wall Street Journal. December 31, 2019.
- "Michael Bloomberg's outrageous response to the Texas church shooting". Washington Examiner. 2020-01-04. Retrieved 2020-01-10.
|This crime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|