West Hillhurst, Calgary
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Druh Farrell|
|• Total||2.4 km2 (0.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,055 m (3,461 ft)|
|Website||West Hillhurst Community Association|
West Hillhurst is a northwest neighbourhood lying within the inner suburbs of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The community, which is located west of Hillhurst, is bisected by Crowchild Trail. On the north, West Hillhurst is bordered by the communities of Hounsfield Heights/Briar Hill and St. Andrews Heights. Other boundaries are 18th Street W to the east, the Bow River to the south and 28th Street W to the west.
Although annexed by the city of Calgary in 1907, substantial development did not occur until 1945 when many of the houses were built as "Victory Homes" for soldiers returning from World War II. A number of these buildings are still standing despite the fact that many were only intended to be temporary.
As of 2000, there were 16.4% low income residents living in the neighbourhood, and 12.8% of the residents were immigrants. 30.6% of the buildings were condominiums or apartments, and 44.1% of the housing was used for renting.
In 2006, there were two schools in the district:
- École Madeleine d'Houet Bilingual Junior High School - A Separate Catholic school
- Louise Dean Centre - A public high school for new and expectant young mothers throughout Calgary.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. 2017. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- City of Calgary (2006). "West Hillhurst Community Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- "2016 Civic Census Results" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2016. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- "Community Boundaries" (Esri shapefile). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2004). "Ward 7 Profile" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- Calgary Area - West Hillhurst Community Info