The King William IV is one of two pubs of the village
Daws Dene refers to part of the Sheepleas and adjoining public woodlands of the North Downs
West Horsley shown within Surrey
|Area||10.83 km2 (4.18 sq mi)|
|Population||2,828 (Civil Parish)|
|– density||261/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||West Horsley|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|UK Parliament||Mole Valley|
West Horsley is a semi-rural village between Guildford and Leatherhead in Surrey, England. It lies on the A246, and south of the M25 and the A3. The Sheepleas Woods are on the northern downslopes of the ridge of hills known as the North Downs in the extreme south of the village, and stretch to 103 hectares (255 acres) (1.03 km²).
West Horsley appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Orselei held by Walter, son of Othere. Its Domesday assets were: 8 hides; 1 church, 8 ploughs, woodland worth 20 hogs. It rendered £6 each year to its lords of the manor.
Beatrix Potter, bestselling author of children's books, used to stay at a cottage in the village, Tyrrellswood with her uncle and aunt, and did many of her paintings of animals and wrote some of her books there. Helen Allingham painted a country thatched cottage images of England in the village in the same period.
Bill Pertwee, who played the air-raid warden in Dad's Army, lived in West Horsley during the time of his role. He is locally famed for appearing in the local pub and the youngest present singing the theme tune Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler? as he entered.
West Horsley Place
West Horsley Place is a medieval house that was substantially reconstructed between the 16th and 18th centuries. It shares in top-ranked listing status for architecture. Acquired in 1931 by the Marquis and Marchioness of Crewe, after the death of the Marquis in 1947 it was left by his wife (Peggy nee Primrose d. 1967) to their daughter, Mary Crewe-Milnes, Duchess of Roxburghe (23 March 1915 – 2 July 2014). On her death in 2014 it passed to her great-nephew Bamber Gascoigne, the grandson of her much older half-sister Lady Annabel Hungerford Crewe-Milnes.
Bell & Colvill dealership
This long-established motor dealers bearing its original name rather than that of its products, occupies a site accessed next to the roundabout leading onto the village main street from the A246.
Sheepleas open space
The Sheepleas Woods are on the northern downslopes of the ridge of hills known as the North Downs in the extreme south of the village, and stretch to 103 hectares (255 acres) (1.03 km²) within the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
This similar sized and shaped area of woodland is slightly higher than Sheepleas open space
Demography and housing
|Output area||Detached||Semi-detached||Terraced||Flats and apartments||Caravans/temporary/mobile homes||shared between households|
The average level of accommodation in the region composed of detached houses was 28%, the average that was apartments was 22.6%.
|Output area||Population||Households||% Owned outright||% Owned with a loan||hectares|
The proportion of households in the civil parish who owned their home outright compares to the regional average of 35.1%. The proportion who owned their home with a loan compares to the regional average of 32.5%. The remaining % is made up of rented dwellings (plus a negligible % of households living rent-free).
- Key Statistics; Quick Statistics: Population Density United Kingdom Census 2011 Office for National Statistics Retrieved 21 November 2013
- Surrey Domesday Book
- Children On A Path Outside A Thatched Cottage, West Horsley, Surrey Helen Allingham (1848-1926)
- St Mary, West Horsley by the Leatherhead Road, Grade I listing Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1377828)". National Heritage List for England.
- West Horsley Place, Grade I listing Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1188949)". National Heritage List for England.
- Obituary for Mary Innes-Ker, Duchess of Roxburghe, announcements.telegraph.co.uk; accessed 12 July 2014.
- Bamber Gascoigne to save 500-year-old manor after accidental inheritance dated 21 March 2015 in The Daily Telegraph online edition, accessed 22 March 2015
- Cranmore School Listing at the Independent Schools Council
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Horsley.|
- West Horsley Parish Council
- David Ogilvy's Biography
- East Horsley Bowling Club
- Horsley Football Club
- Horsley Football Club Annual 6 aside Tournament
- Horsley Decorative and Fine Arts Society