West Houston Airport
|West Houston Airport|
|Airport type||Public use|
|Owner||West Houston Airport Corp.|
|Elevation AMSL||111 ft / 34 m|
West Houston Airport (IATA: IWS, ICAO: KIWS, FAA LID: IWS) is a privately owned, public use airport in Harris County, Texas, United States. It is located 13 nautical miles (15 mi, 24 km) west of Downtown Houston, in an unincorporated area of the county, immediately west of the Houston city limits.
This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation reliever airport. Houston Air Route Traffic Control Center in Houston is the airport's designated ARTCC.
Facilities and aircraft
West Houston Airport covers an area of 200 acres (81 ha) at an elevation of 111 feet (34 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 15/33 with an asphalt surface measuring 3,953 by 75 feet (1,205 x 23 m).
The airport is home to over 375 aircraft. As a privately owned airport, the airport does not receive federal funding for improvements. There is no landing fee but incoming passengers are requested to make a purchase of some sort to support the airport.
The airport hosts several aviation organizations such as the EAA, 99's, AOPA, ABS, NBAA, and TFGA.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
West Houston Airport offers a variety of services, including a VIP lounge with free Wi-Fi, hangars, and airplane covers. The airport is also a certified flight school by the FAA. There are several amenities located at the airport: Radio shop, FAA license repair Facility and Cessna Service Center as well as an upholstery shop for aircraft interiors.
The terminal building is a two story facility containing conference rooms and normal airport facilities.
West Houston Airport was named as one of America's "Most Needed Airports" list by NATA (National Air Transportation Association) 
- FAA Airport Master Record for IWS ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. External link in
- "Airport Information]". West Houston Airport.
- West Houston Airport, 4000' x 75' Paved w/Parallel Taxiways
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Houston Airport.|
- West Houston Airport
- Aerial image as of January 1995 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for IWS, effective May 25, 2017
- Resources for this airport: