West Hoxton, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Lake Francis, West Hoxton
|Population||10,012 (2016 census)|
|Location||40 km (25 mi) west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Liverpool|
West Hoxton is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. West Hoxton is located 40 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Liverpool and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.
West Hoxton is an extension of Hoxton Park. Hoxton Park was named in 1887 when Phillips and Co, a syndicate, subdivided the land under that name. Thomas Setrop Amos, a London solicitor, who arrived in Sydney in 1816, was granted 800 acres (3.2 km2) in this area in June 1818.
West Hoxton was primarily developed during the late 1990s as a residential area.
It is a highly affluent area with average incomes higher than the Liverpool LGA.
- Hoxton Park Public School
- Greenway Park Public School
- Thomas Hassall Anglican College
The population of West Hoxton increased more than sixfold from 1996 to 2001, to number 4,997, as a result of residential development.
In 2001, West Hoxton boasted a substantial share of its population born overseas, from a wide range of countries, which indicates that this area had a relatively multicultural population. It featured a notably higher percentage of the population born in non-English-speaking countries compared to those born in mainly English-speaking countries.
The overseas-born population in West Hoxton includes those from Europe, as well as from more recent arrivals from Asia and the Pacific. West Hoxton has a higher share of the population born in the Philippines, Fiji and Italy compared to the rest of the City of Liverpool.
- Wendy Paramor (1938-1975), painter and sculptor
West Hoxton lies to the west of Cowpastures Road which provides connection to other roads leading to Liverpool and Camden. Busabout provides four bus services running along Cowpastures Road, connecting West Hoxton to Liverpool.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "West Hoxton (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollen, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- "Busabout Network Map". Busabout. Archived from the original on 30 August 2007. Retrieved 19 April 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Hoxton, New South Wales.|