Irondequoit High School
|Irondequoit High School|
Irondequoit High School 2006
|260 Cooper Road
Rochester, New York 14617
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||West Irondequoit Central School District|
|Principal||Douglas W Lauf|
|School colour(s)||Blue and Gold|
Irondequoit District Number 3 renamed their original Irondequoit Union Free School as Irondequoit High School in 1924. A larger property, the Williams farm, was bought on Cooper Road in 1927 for $72,000. By 1931 a middle school - Reuben A. Dake School - had been built on the Cooper Road site. A new high school was built just to the south in 1949-1950 for $1,000,000. The building was dedicated on October 26, 1950. The high school building was erected in 1924, as the Irondequoit Free Union School, District Number 3. This district was joined to District Number 4 in 1953 to become the West Irondequoit Central School District.
First Addition The high school was enlarged in 1957 at a cost of $1,750,000: 25 regular classrooms were added; music rooms for band, chorus and orchestra; a library; two art rooms; a cafeteria for 500 students; a pool (and locker room); and enlarged offices.
Second Addition In 1961 another $28,000 was spent to connect the cafeteria with the south end of the 1957 wing.
Third Addition As the town continued to grow, more classrooms were needed. Twenty-six more were added, as well as a 300-student cafeteria, rooms for shop classes, and more locker rooms and shower rooms for athletics. To match this expansion in school attendance, the kitchen, library, chemistry and biology labs, and offices were expanded. All of this cost $1,602,650. The new space was occupied at the start of the 1964-1965 school year.
|English Grade 8||20||23||23|
|Mathematics Grade 8||25||23||23|
|Science Grade 8||25||22||24|
|Social Studies Grade 8||25||25||23|
|English Grade 10||22||23||24|
|Mathematics Grade 10||23||24||25|
|Science Grade 10||23||25||24|
|Social Studies Grade 10||24||22||24|
Statistics from the Department of Education:
- Total Students(2004–2005): 1393
- Full-time teachers: 87.4
- Student/Teacher Ratio: 15.9
- Eligible for discounted/free lunch: 204 ( 15%)
The Irondequoit lacrosse team has earned a reputation as one of the premier programs in the country. In November 2006, it was the subject of a documentary film called "Irondequoit: Lacrosse Town USA". From its founding in 1957 through the 2007 season, the lacrosse team has never finished a season with a losing record. Irondequoit lacrosse teams have won 28 championship titles and have produced 30 High School All-Americans, plus a long list of college lacrosse coaches.
The Irondequoit High School mascot is the Eagles. It was formerly the "Indians" but was changed in the early 2000s.
- Richard Brookhiser (class of 1973), noted historian and biographer of various American founding fathers 
- Paul Cantabene, professional lacrosse player and coach
- Cito Culver, first-round draft choice of the New York Yankees in 2010
- Thomas Fenton, screenwriter, SAW IV, I Spit on your Grave 2, Chain Letter
- Rory Fitzpatrick, hockey defenseman for the NHL's Buffalo Sabres
- Tom Golisano, founder of Paychex and a three-time New York State gubernatorial candidate
- Sean Lahman, journalist and award winning writer
- Stephen Minarik, former head of the Monroe County and New York State Republican Committees
- Mike Sigel, 3 time US Open Nine-ball Championship winner and 5 World Pocket Billiard Championship titles. Was technical advisor and choreographer for The Color of Money
- Kent Syverud, chancellor and president of Syracuse University 
- David Walker, star running back at Syracuse University and assistant coach for Indianapolis Colts
- Joe Walters, the first overall pick in the 2006 Major League Lacrosse Collegiate Draft and a professional lacrosse player for the Hamilton Nationals and Rochester Knighthawks
- West, Maude I.: "Irondequoit Story - A History of the Town of Irondequoit, Second Edition", pages 18-20. Briddon Press, 1967.
- BEDS Code 26-08-03-06-0000, http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/repcrd2003/cir/260803060000.pdf.
- Schooldigger[dead link]
- Inside Lacrosse, Lacrosse documentary premieres at Irondequoit High School Archived December 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Irondequoit High School grad earns prestigious award - Canandaigua, NY - MPNnow Archived 2012-02-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kent D. Syverud Named 12th Chancellor and President of Syracuse University - Syracuse University News