West Island Line
West Island Line
|Type||Heavy rail (rapid transit)|
|Locale||Districts: Central and Western|
28 December 2014 (HKU and Kennedy Town)29 March 2015 (Sai Ying Pun)
|Track gauge||1,432 mm (4 ft 8 3⁄8 in)|
|Electrification||1.5 kV DC|
The West Island Line is the three-station western extension of the Hong Kong MTR's Island Line. Construction of the line began on 10 August 2009, and the two westernmost stations on line opened on 28 December 2014; the intermediary Sai Ying Pun Station opened on 29 March 2015. The first train went into service that day at 6:00 a.m. Hong Kong time.
The MTR Corporation Limited (MTRC) submitted its first proposal for the West Island line in May 2002. This was similar to the final alignment, with stations at Sai Ying Pun, Belcher and Kennedy Town. In revisions in 2003 and 2004, the West Island Line became its own line, which would interchange with the Island Line at Sheung Wan or Sai Ying Pun. On 28 May 2004, planning for the line was deferred.
On 25 February 2005, the Panel of Transport of Legislative Council had a meeting discussing West and South Island Line. MTR had submitted a revised scheme on 22 February and an introduction to the scheme was conducted in the meeting.
The scheme was gazetted in October 2007 and given final authorisation in March 2009. Construction of the 3-kilometre extension started on 10 August 2009, for completion in 2014. The cost of the line is estimated to be HK$15.4 billion.
According to the summary report of the new lines, the construction cost of the West Island Line would be HK$15.4 billion (as at Dec 2008). MTR asked for government funding of less than half of the total cost. The remaining cost and the operational cost would be covered by MTR.
New reserved signs for WIL at Sheung Wan Station
Sai Ying Pun Station Exit A1 on April 2014
Under construction HKU Station concourse
- "West Island Line targets to open in December 2014, 90% of works complete" (PDF). MTR Corporation. 29 May 2014.
Papers from Government and Legislature
- "Second Railway Development Study (RDS-2)" (PDF). From Highways Department Hong Kong. Retrieved 27 February 2005.
- "Information paper about the Feb 2005 scheme" (PDF). From Panel of Transport, Legislative Council. 21 February 2005. Retrieved 27 February 2005.
- "Background brief on Route 4, South Hong Kong Island Line and West Hong Kong Island Line" (PDF). From Panel of Transport, Legislative Council. 21 February 2005. Retrieved 27 February 2005.
- "Presentation of Feb 2005 scheme by MTR" (PDF). From Panel of Transport, Legislative Council. 25 February 2005. Retrieved 5 March 2005.
- "MTR Corporation welcomes Government's decision on West Island Line and South Island Line" (PDF).. (30 June 2005). From MTR Corporation.
- MTRCL to proceed with preparations for West Island Line. (30 June 2005). From Information Services Department, Government of Hong Kong.