West Jordan City Center (UTA station)
|Utah Transit Authority (UTA)
TRAX light rail station
|Location||8021 South Redwood Road
West Jordan, Utah
Utah Transit Authority (UTA):
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||UTA intra-county and local bus|
|Parking||221 free spaces|
|Opened||7 August 2011|
West Jordan City Center is a light rail station in the West Jordan, Utah, in the United States, served by the Red Line of the Utah Transit Authority's (UTA) TRAX light rail system. The Red Line provides service from the University of Utah to the Daybreak Community of South Jordan.
The station is located at 8021 South Redwood Road (1700 West/SR-68) and is easily accessible from 7800 South (SR-48) by heading south on Redwood Road. There is not access to the station except directly from Redwood Road. The West Jordan city hall, West Jordan courthouse, West Jordan Branch of the Salt Lake County Library, a Jordan School District administration building, and a small commercial area are to the north of the tracks near the station. The area south of the station is mostly residential and, although the station runs along the north side of 8045 South, there is not direct vehicle or pedestrian access to that road. The station has a Park and Ride with about free 220 parking spaces available, but there are plans for a total of about 600 parking spaces.[Note 1] In the original planning stages, the station was referred to as "Redwood Road", but later changed to the current name. The station opened 7 August 2011 as part of the Red Line (Mid-Jordan) and is operated by the Utah Transit Authority.
All of UTA's TRAX and FrontRunner trains and stations, streetcars and streetcar stops, and all fixed route buses are compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act and are therefore accessible to those with disabilities. Signage at the stations, on the passenger platforms, and on the trains clearly indicate accessibility options. In accordance with the Utah Clean Air Act and UTA ordinance, "smoking is prohibited on UTA vehicles as well as UTA bus stops, TRAX stations, and FrontRunner stations".
On weekdays the first northbound Red Line train (to the University Medical Center Station) leaves the West Jordan City Center Station at about 5:00 am and the first southbound train (to the Daybreak Parkway Station) leaves at about 5:15 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:44 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:33 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last southbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:33 pm.[Note 2]
On Saturdays the first southbound train leaves at about 5:45 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 6:30 am. The last southbound train leaves at 11:05 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 11:43 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 10:43 pm.[Note 2]
On Sundays the first southbound train leaves at about 9:45 am and the first northbound train leaves at about 10:30 am. The last southbound train leaves at 7:43 pm and the last northbound train leaves at 8:23 pm. However, the last northbound train only goes as far north as the Central Pointe Station; the last northbound train to the University Medical Center Station leaves at 7:23 pm.[Note 2]
- UTA Route 217 - Redwood Road (West Jordan - Taylorsville, including Salt Lake Community College - West Valley City, including Redwood Junction Station - South Salt Lake, including Central Pointe Station - Salt Lake City, including 1940 W North Temple & Power stations - Rose Park [via Redwood Road])
- UTA Route 218 - Sandy/South Jordan (West Jordan - South Jordan, including South Jordan Station - Sandy, including Salt Lake Community College's Larry H. Miller Campus, South Towne Center mall, & Sandy Civic Center Station [via Redwood Road])
- On 1 July 2013 UTA announced that beginning immediately it was starting a one year pilot program involving most of its TRAX and FrontRunner Park and Ride lots. The purpose of the new program is to make rider connections with the Salt Lake City International Airport more convenient by avoiding the need to park at the airport. The program allows UTA patrons to park for an "unlimited amount of time" in the designated Park and Ride lots. In addition, UTA will allow free parking in all of its parking garages. Previous UTA policy limited parking to no more than 24 hours, except at its parking garages. As part of the year long pilot program, "UTA will measure parking lot usage and monitor costs, maintenance requirements, impacts to snow removal and security issues before determining if the program will be extended." There are eight Park and Ride lots that are excluded from this test program and the 24-hour time limit will still apply to these lots. West Jordan City Center Station's lot is specifically included in this test program. Notwithstanding permission to park for extended periods in the applicable Park and Ride Lots, updated signage at the stations advises that the UTA Transit Police request that they be notified anytime a car is parked in one of the lots for more than seven days.
On 3 July 2014 UTA announced that it had extended the free parking pilot program for another year, but was removing two stations from the program.
- Train schedules are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- Bus routes are current as of Change Day, 17 August 2014
- "TRAX Parking and Stops". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 7 Apr 2013.
- Fidel, Steve (1 Oct 2010). "2011 completion date for two TRAX lines announced". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 7 Mar 2013.
- Hancock, Laura (25 Feb 2010). "UTA's board OKs station names". Deseret News. Salt Lake City: Deseret Digital Media. Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "Redwood Station site plan" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Aug 2007. Retrieved 7 Apr 2013.
- "UTA Offers Free Multi-Day Parking". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 26 Jun 2013. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.
- "UTA Renews Free Long-term Parking Program". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 3 Jul 2014. Retrieved 30 Jul 2014.
- "Mid-Jordan Transit Corridor CE/PE/FEIS" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 8 Aug 2013.
- "Fixed Route Accessibility". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 13 Mar 2013.
- "Rider Rules". rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Mar 2013.
- "TRAX" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. 13 Apr 2014. Retrieved 15 Apr 2014.
- "Route 703 - Red Line" (PDF). rideuta.com. Utah Transit Authority. Retrieved 12 Aug 2014.