West Lavington, West Sussex
Church of St. Mary Magdalene
|Area||2.45 km2 (0.95 sq mi) |
|Population||276. 2011 Census|
|• Density||121/km2 (310/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||45 miles (72 km) NE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||GU29 0|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
West Lavington is a village and civil parish on the edge of Midhurst in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. It contains a small private nursery school and the (now deconsecrated) church of St Mary Magdalene.
The church was constructed for Henry Edward Manning who was at the time rector of Woolavington, now East Lavington, with West Lavington forming a detached portion of that parish until 1851. The churchyard contains the grave of Richard Cobden although he lived in the neighbouring parish of Heyshott.
As a result of falling congregations and the church's poor condition, St Mary Magdalene church was closed in September 2008 and the congregation transferred to neighbouring Cocking. The two parishes were subsequently united and are now known as "The Parish of Cocking with West Lavington". In 2013, the former church at West Lavington was offered for sale, although the graveyard will continue to belong to the parish with public access.
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish" (PDF). West Sussex County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Civil parish 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "West Lavington - St Mary Magdalene". Sussex Parish Churches. 8 December 2008. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "West Lavington church to close". Gravelroots (The Rother Valley Guide). 9 August 2007. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Ceiling fall could spell end for West Lavington church". Mid Sussex Times. 3 September 2008. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "St Catherine of Siena: About the Parish". A Church Near You. The Church of England. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "St Mary Magdalene Church". House for sale: West Lavington, Midhurst, West Sussex. www.rightmove.co.uk. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "St Mary Magdalene Church West Lavington" (PDF). Jackson-Stops & Staff. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
Media related to West Lavington, West Sussex at Wikimedia Commons