West Line, Chennai Suburban
|West Line, Chennai Suburban|
|System||Chennai Suburban Railway|
|Termini||Chennai Central (Madras Central)
|Operator(s)||Southern Railway (India)|
|Line length||213 kilometres (132 mi) (69 km Suburban and 144 km MEMU)|
|Track length||526 kilometres (327 mi)|
|Number of tracks||4 (till Tiruvallur) 3 (till Arakkonam) 2 (till Jolarpet)|
|Track gauge||Broad Gauge|
|Operating speed||90 km/h (maximum service speed)|
The West line of Chennai Suburban Railway is the second longest line running west from Chennai Central (Madras Central) till Jolarpet covering a distance of 213 km. Suburban services terminate at Arakkonam and MEMU serives run till Jolarpet. As of 2009, around 400,000 commuters travel every day on the 171 suburban services operated in the Arakonam-Chennai section.
Chennai Central (Madras Central) - Tiruvallur
- This section has 2 dedicated lines for suburban train operations and 2 main lines.
- Some fast local EMUs are operated along 3rd and 4th main lines during peak hours .
- 9-car EMU's are only operated in this sector. 12-car EMU's are to be operated in the future.
- 5th and 6th rail lines are planned.
Tiruvallur - Arakkonam
- Suburban trains operate in the 2 main lines.
- 3rd railway track was completed and opened for cargo traffic in 2010 and is yet to be opened for passenger traffic. 
- 4th railway track is under construction.
- 9-car EMU's are operated in this sector.
Arakkonam - Katpadi
- No Suburban EMU trains operate in this section of west line.
- Only 1 MEMU Service operated from Chennai Central to Katpadi.
Katpadi - Jolarpet
- MEMU operates between Arakkonam and Jolarpet.
- "New tracks to speed up suburban trains". The Times of India. Chennai: The Times Group. 31 October 2009. Retrieved 10 Nov 2012.
- S. Vydhianathan. "Thiruvallur-Arakkonam third BG line awaiting clearance". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 January 2014.