West London Mental Health NHS Trust
West London Mental Healthcare NHS Trust (WLMHT) was established 1 October 2000.
The headquarters is at 1 Armstrong Way, Southall, near to the St Bernard's Hospital site. HQ[›] This is on the south side of the Uxbridge Road between the towns of Southall and Hanwell and 8½ miles west from London, in the Southall district of the London Borough of Ealing, Greater London, England.
Services are spread across 25 sites, notably including Broadmoor Hospital, and the trust employs around 3,500 people, serving a local population of over 700,000 and treating more than 35,000 people each year. Due to its larger remit there are seven executive directors, and eight non-executive directors. Currently the trust is in the process becoming a NHS Foundation Trust. It has been embroiled in a series of controversies, however, involving millions of pounds of unaccounted overspend, poor Care Quality Commission reports and whistleblower allegations of a bullying management style; the Chief Executive retired in 2015.
|Trust name||West London Mental Healthcare NHS Trust|
|Psychiatric ICU present?||Yes|
|Adolescent Secure present?||Yes- male|
|Local Secure present?||Yes|
|Medium Secure present?||Yes- male; Yes- female|
|High Secure available?||No, but available off-site at (Broadmoor) B[›]|
|No. of employees||~ 3,500|
|In patients||See: for each unit|
|History of St. Bernard's|
|Key dates||* Opened 16 May 1832.
* Present Trust established 1 October 2000
|Website||West London Mental Health NHS Trust|
|Wiki-Links||National Health Service
List of UK Hospitals
- Middlesex County Asylum, Hanwell (1831–1889)
- London County Asylum, Hanwell (1889–1917)
- London County Mental Hospital (1918–1928)
- Hanwell Mental Hospital (1929–1937)
- St Bernard's Hospital (1938–1980)
- Psychiatric Unit (1980–1992) – part of a re-organized complex of divisions on same site and called Ealing Hospital with a central corporate body.
- West London Mental Healthcare (NHS) Trust. (1992–1999) See: Statutory Instrument 1992 No. 2539. The West London Healthcare National Health Service Trust (Establishment) Order 1992.
- Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham Mental Health (NHS) Trust (1999–2001)
- West London Mental Health NHS Trust (2001–present)
The trust's services based at St Bernard's Hospital in west London occupy some of the original buildings once known as Hanwell Asylum.
Here the first superintendent Dr (later Sir) William & Mrs Mildred Ellis who were so much impressed with Moral therapy and humane treatment they saw offered to people suffering Mental disorders at the Quaker Asylum in York that they both imposed these methods on the staff at Hanwell. This was as such the very first large scale experiment. The second superintendent brought mechanical restraints – as a form of treatment – back. The third superintendent Dr John Conolly against stiff opposition backed up with much vitriol, took the example further, and did away with all mechanical restraints. To the surprise and disbelief of many he found, like the Ellises before, that bedlam diminished, behaviour became less defensive and cooperation improved dramatically, and many recovered or much improved. This event added to his other pioneering work such as developing proper diets and conditions for his patients and battles to set up regular training lecture specialising in mental health, for doctor training, all led to him receiving worldwide recognition.
Broadmoor high secure hospital: In order to end the isolation suffered by the high secure services from the rest of the NHS, the Health Act 1999 was passed, allowing NHS Trusts to provide for these. sth[›] After a three-month consultation in the early part of the following year it was agreed that the high secure services based at Broadmoor and those provided by the Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham Mental Health NHS Trust should be combined into one organisation. This created the existing West London Mental Health NHS Trust, which took over governance in 2001.
Local services division
- Cassel Hospital
- Charing Cross (levels 3, 4 & 9)
- St Bernard's site.
- The Limes.
Forensic services division
In November 2004 a new directorate, the Woman's Secure Services was created. This was to separate the medium secure women's facilities from the Broadmoor high secure site and relocate them on the Ealing site.
- The Paddock Centre (70 beds) – Dangerous Severe Personality Disorder and Broadmoor Hospital (300 bed) – male High Secure Service are at Crowthorne in Berkshire.
- The Orchard (60 bed) – (female Enhanced Medium Secure Unit), Three Bridges Unit (male Medium Secure Unit), The Tony Hillis Wing – (male Low Secure Service) and The Wells Unit (10 bed) – Adolescent Secure Unit are all at the Ealing site.
Clinical Service Units and Service Lines
In 2014 the trust restructured so that it now delivers services from two clinical service units - High secure and forensic services, and local and specialist services. It has seven service lines - high secure services at Broadmoor Hospital, west London forensic services, liaison and long-term conditions, access and urgent care, primary and planned care, cognitive impairment and dementia, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and developmental services.
WLMHT either run or provide services at the following sites:
- Avenue House 43–47 Avenue Road W3 8NJ
- Alexandria Road: Ealing IAPT, 14A Alexandria Road, W13 0NR
- Hounslow Recovery Team East: 729 London Road, Hounslow, TW3 1SE
- Broadmoor Hospital Crowthorne, Berkshire RG45 7EG
- Cassel Hospital: 1 Ham Common, Richmond, TW10 7JF
- Cardinal Centre (Feltham CMHT): Cardinal Road, Hounslow, TW13 5AL
- Charing Cross Hospital: Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8RF
- Cherington House: Cherington Road, Hanwell, W7 3HL
- Claybrook Road (Charing Cross Annex) Claybrook Road, London, W6
- Elm Lodge 4a Marley Close, Greenford, London UB6 9UG
- Glenthorne Road CAMHS: WLMHT Child, Adolescent and Family Service. 48 Glenthorne Road, Hammersmith W6 0LS
- Gloucester House 194 Hammersmith Road, London, W6 8BS
- Hammersmith & Fulham Mental Health Unit (Charing Cross Hospital site) Fulham Palace Road, London W6 8NF
- Heart of Hounslow Centre for Health 92 Bath Road, Hounslow TW3 3EL
- Lakeside Mental Health Unit West Middlesex University Hospital, Twickenham Road, Isleworth, TW7 6AF
- Limes Merrick Road, Southall, UB2 4AU
- Martin House 1 Swift Road, Southall, Middlesex UB2 4RP
- Old Oak Road 16/18 Old Oak Road, London, W3 7HO
- Orchard Women's Service (St Bernard's Hospital site) Uxbridge Road, Southall UB1 3EU
- Paddock Centre (Broadmoor Hospital site) Crowthorne, Berkshire RG45 7EG
- Richford Gate Richford Street, London, W6 7HY
- Solace Centre 58 Bowmans Close, London W13 9YT
- Stamford Brook Centre 206 Goldhawk Road, London W12 9PA
- St Vincent Centre 49 Queen Caroline Street, London W6 9QH
- St Bernard's Hospital Uxbridge Road, Southall UB1 3EU
- Sycamore Lodge 1 Edgecote Close, Acton, London W3 8PH
- Three Bridges Regional Secure Unit (St Bernard's Hospital site) Uxbridge Road, Southall UB1 3EU
- Tony Hillis Wing Local Secure Unit (St Bernard's Hospital site) Uxbridge Road, Southall UB1 3EU
- Uxbridge Road Ealing IAPT, 84 Uxbridge Road, W13 8RA
The WLMHT currently act as guardians of the Corsellis Collection, containing some nine thousand specimens of brains dating back to the 1950s. The Corsellis collection was originally housed at Runwell Hospital until the 1990s when a major reprovision programme was envisioned; the collection was started at Runwell Hospital by Dr John Corsellis. No larger depository of this speciality is known.
On the same grounds as St Bernard's Hospital is Meadow House Hospice which is run by London North West Healthcare NHS Trust.
- Healthcare in London
- List of NHS trusts
- Hanwell Asylum
- Broadmoor Hospital
- *Dell Susanne, Robertson, Graham.(1988) Sentenced to hospital : offenders in Broadmoor. Oxford University Press, Oxford ; New York. ISBN 0-19-712156-X Dewey Class 365/.942294 19 authors describe the treatment of some Broadmoor patients and together with their psychiatric and criminal histories.
- Gallagher, Paul (27 June 2015). "Chief of NHS mental health trust that controls Broadmoor leaves post amid string of controversies". The Independent.
- "Isaacs Report Chapter 33: The Corsellis Collection". Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- Official WLMHT site. Accessed 2007-05-16
- The Healthcare Commission: West London Mental Health NHS Trust: Performance ratings. Accessed 2007-05-19
- "Photographs of Hanwell Asylum/St. Bernard's Hospital". County Asylums. December 2005. Retrieved 2 October 2006.
- The local voluntary Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) Forum. Retrieved on 2006-10-05
- Transport for London: Bus services to and from Hanwell. Accessed 2007-06-05
- National Rail Station: Hanwell. Accessed 2007-06-05