West Lynn, Norfolk
West Lynn forms the part of the town of King's Lynn in the English county of Norfolk that is west of the River Great Ouse. It is linked to the main part of King's Lynn by the King's Lynn passenger ferry or by a circuitous 4 km road journey.
West Lynn was originally constituted as a separate civil parish, and in 1894 this became the sole parish in the new King's Lynn Rural District. The parish and district were split in 1935 with the urban part becoming part of the borough of King's Lynn, and the rest becoming part of the parish of Clenchwarton in Marshland Rural District. Today the name West Lynn usually refers to the former part of the borough of King's Lynn, forming part of the unparished urban area of King's Lynn, within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk. It is in the South and West Lynn Ward of King's Lynn and West Norfolk Council.
West Lynn has a primary school and a range of basic services.
West Lynn Primary School received a 'good' rating from Ofsted in 2019.
The King's Lynn Ferry has linked West Lynn to the main part of King's Lynn since 1285. The ferry is operated by S.N. Kingston Marine Services and runs Monday to Saturday. It carried 85,000 passengers in 2011. The service is subsidised by West Norfolk Council and was previously subsidised by Norfolk County Council.
- Ordnance Survey (2002). OS Explorer Map 250 - Norfolk Coast West. ISBN 0-319-21886-4.
- Ordnance Survey (1999). OS Explorer Map 236 - King's Lynn, Downham Market & Swaffham. ISBN 0-319-21867-8.
- "West Lynn AP/CP Norfolk through time". Great Britain Historical GIS Project. Retrieved 31 May 2006.
- Office for National Statistics & Norfolk County Council (2001). Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes Archived 2017-02-11 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2 December 2005.
- "West Lynn Primary School Ofsted 'Good' report". Ofsted News. 17 September 2019.
- King's Lynn Ferry, Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- King’s Lynn ferry to be replaced by new amphibious craft as West Norfolk councillors agree to subsidise the cost, Eastern Daily Press, 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- West Lynn: Price increase on ferry, Lynn News, 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Lynn, Norfolk.|
- for West Lynn, Norfolk
- Information from Genuki Norfolk on West Lynn.