West Memphis High School
|West Memphis Senior High School|
|501 West Broadway
West Memphis, Arkansas, 72301
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||West Memphis School District|
|NCES School ID||050804000530|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.30|
|Rivals||Marion High School|
West Memphis High School is an accredited comprehensive public high school for students in grades ten through twelve in West Memphis, Arkansas, United States. The school is administered by the West Memphis School District.
The assumed course of study for West Memphis students is the Smart Core curriculum, which is the Arkansas' college and career-ready curriculum for high school students developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). Students complete regular courses and exams and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that may lead to college credit. West Memphis High School is accredited by AdvancED since 1927. The school's state accreditation with ADE is listed as 'Accredited-Cited' based on its performance since 2008–09 which has led the school to be categorized as a 'State-Directed' school for its Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for the No Child Left Behind Act.
The West Memphis High School mascot and athletic emblem is the blue devil with red and blue as its school colors.
The West Memphis Blue Devils compete in the 7A/6A East Conference for the following activities: football, volleyball, competitive cheer, golf (boys/girls), soccer (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), baseball, fastpitch softball, and track and field (boys/girls).
The boys basketball team has won six state (classification) championships between 1980 and 2005, including three state (overall) championships between 1980, 1981 and 1991. The 1980 and 1981 teams combined for a state-record 60 consecutive wins.
Clubs and traditions
West Memphis students participate in a variety of clubs and organizations including:
- Corey L. Brewer—Professional basketball player.
- Marcus Brown—Professional basketball player.
- Michael Cage—Professional basketball player.
- Wayne Jackson-Trumpet player of The Memphis Horns
- Lew Carpenter—Professional football player and coach.
- Ike Harris—Professional football player.
- Keith Lee—Professional basketball player and coach.
- Sonja Tate—Professional basketball player.
- Sonny Weems—Professional basketball player.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for West Memphis High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "School Profile, West Memphis High School". AdvancED. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Performance Report". Arkansas Department of Education / West Memphis School District. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "School Profile, West Memphis High School". U.S. News & World Report. 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "School Profile, West Memphis High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Arkansas High School Sports Record Book 2012–13" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Organizations, West Memphis High School". West Memphis School District. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- WNBA.com: Sonja Tate Player Info