West Mesa High School
|West Mesa High School|
|6701 Fortuna Rd. NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87121
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Knowledge Today, Success Tomorrow!|
|Athletics conference||NMAA, 6A Dist. 5|
|Rival||Rio Grande High
Atrisco Heritage High
West Mesa High School (WMHS) is a public senior high school in Albuquerque, New Mexico, located on the city's West Mesa. It is a part of the Albuquerque Public Schools. The school colors are scarlet, royal blue and white, and their mascot is the Mustang. Enrollment at WMHS stands at 2,292, the largest of any school in the district.
Student body statistics
|Ethnicity||This School||State Average|
|White (not Hispanic)||19%||29%|
|Hispanic (of any race)||69%||56%|
|American Indian/Alaskan Native||7%||11%|
Films shot on Campus
- 1971 drama Making It was filmed there in the summer of 1970.
- 2008 comedy Hamlet 2 was filmed there from September through October 2007.
- 2011 musical drama Lemonade Mouth was filmed there in the spring of 2010.
WMHS competes in the New Mexico Activities Association (NMAA), as a class 6A school in District 5. In 2014, the NMAA realigned the state's schools in to six classifications and adjusted district boundaries. In addition to West Mesa High School, the schools in District 5-6A include: Albuquerque High School, Rio Grande High School, Valley High School and Atrisco Heritage Academy High School.
WMHS has captured 12 State Championships, most in AAAA.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Volleyball||6||1992, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1985, 1984|
|Winter||Wrestling||4||1999, 1994, 1991, 1990|
|Boys Track and Field||1||1986|
- Randy Castillo (1968), rock drummer
- Damacio Page state champion wrestler; current mixed martial artist, formerly for the WEC and the UFC
- Steven Michael Quezada (1981), actor, writer, producer, comedian
- Al Unser Jr. (1980), race car driver
- Joey Villasenor (attended)- mixed martial artist
Ray Velasco: NFL Player
- Guillermo Gonzalez CPK bartender and street racer.
Robert nowell - ER physician, all state basketball (1988)
- Megan Martin (2007-11-06). "Students learn about making movies from an on-the-set perspective". Albuquerque Journal.
- Chavez, Barbara (March 28, 2002). "Former Ozzy, Motley Crue Drummer Dies of Cancer". Albuquerque Journal. NM.
- "Damacio Page MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- Journal Staff (January 26, 2013). "Candidate Q & A – APS District 5". Albuquerque Journal. NM.
- Casaus, Phill (September 26, 2006). "West Mesa High School prepares for the future". Albuquerque Tribune. NM.
- "Joey Villasenor MMA Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
|This New Mexico school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|