West Newton, East Riding of Yorkshire
West Newton is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 9 miles (14 km) north-east of Hull city centre and 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Hornsea. In 1935, both the townships of Marton and West Newton were merged into the civil parish of Burton Constable.
In 1870–72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Newton like this:
NEWTON (West), a township, with a village, in Aldbrough parish, E. R. Yorkshire; miles N E of Hull. Acres, 778. Real property, £3, 218. Pop., 220. Houses, 30. An hospital was founded here, prior to 1179, by William Earl of Albemarle.
The area around West Newton has been the site of test drilling for gas and oil. In 2014, people complained that noxious fumes were being emitted from a site near to the village and the smell was making them sick. In June 2019, the company testing for gas announced that preliminary data from the borehole suggested that there was an accessible resource of 189,000,000,000 cubic metres (6.7×1012 cu ft) of gas, or 31 million barrels of oil from a borehole that extended over 6,562 feet (2,000 m).
If the assessment is correct, it would be the biggest onshore gas and oilfield in the United Kingdom. Previously this was the Saltfleetby field in Lincolnshire discovered in 1973 with a capacity of 73,000,000,000 cubic metres (2.6×1012 cu ft) of gas.
- "293" (Map). Kingston upon Hull & Beverley. 1:25,000. Explorer. Ordnance Survey. 2015. ISBN 9780319244906.
- "Middle division: Burton Constable | British History Online". www.british-history.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- "History of West Newton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description". www.visionofbritain.org.uk. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- Vidal, John (19 September 2014). "East Yorkshire gas-drilling site making locals 'sick from noxious smells'". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- Bradshaw, Julia (17 June 2019). "UK's 'biggest' onshore gas field discovered near Hull". The Telegraph. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- Wood, Alex (17 June 2019). "'Biggest gas and oil discovery in half a century' made in East Yorkshire". The Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 18 June 2019.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Newton.|