West Orange Public Schools
|West Orange Public Schools|
|179 Eagle Rock Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
|Grades||pre-K to 12|
|Business administrator||John Calavano|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||6,792 (as of 2011-12)|
|District Factor Group||GH|
The West Orange Public Schools is a comprehensive community public school district serving students in pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade in West Orange in Essex County, New Jersey, United States.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "GH", the third-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
The district currently consists of seven elementary schools, three middle schools and one high school. In the 1990s, the district was ranked among the top 1% of schools in the nation by The Washington Post.
Awards, recognition and rankings
During the 2008-09 school year, Hazel Avenue School was recognized with the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
- Elementary schools
- Gregory Elementary School (590 students; in grades K-5)
- Michele Thompson, Principal
- Hazel Avenue Elementary School (368; K-5)
- Dr. Edwin Acevedo, Principal
- Kelly Elementary School (424; PreK-5). The school was renamed in May 2016 in honor of Mark and Scott Kelly, identical twins who attended what was then Pleasantdale School starting in second grade before becoming NASA astronauts.
- Dr. Joanne Pollara, Principal
- Mount Pleasant Elementary School (416; K-5)
- Julie DiGiacomo, Principal
- Redwood Elementary School (576; K-5)
- Bruce Arcurio, Principal
- St. Cloud Elementary School (386; K-5)
- Eric Price, Principal
- Washington Elementary School (403; K-5)
- Marie DeMaio, Principal
- Middle schools
- Thomas A. Edison Central Six School (6; 475)
- Xavier M. Fitzgerald, Principal
- Steven Melendez, Assistant Principal
- Liberty Middle School (7&8; 551)
- Robert J. Klemt, Principal
- Michelle Martino, Assistant Principal
- Roosevelt Middle School (7&8; 464)
- Lionel O. Hush, Principal
- Mark J. Lawrence, Assistant Principal
- High School
- West Orange High School (2,141) for grades 9-12
- Hayden Moore, Principal
- Lesley Chung, Assistant Principal
- Louis Della Pia, Assistant Principal
- Dr. Kimberley Mancarella, Assistant Principal
- Annette Towson, Assistant Principal
Defunct school facilities
- Three schools have occupied the same location on Gaston Street. The first was the original West Orange High School, built in 1898. It burned down in 1913, was rebuilt, and linked by a shared auditorium to Fairmount Avenue Elementary School. In 1912, the elementary school had been built behind the high school with its entrance on Fairmount Avenue. (At that time, Fairmount Avenue ran parallel to Gaston Street but it no longer exists.) In 1922, when a new high school was constructed on Northfield Avenue (now Seton Hall Prep), the old high school was transformed into Gaston Street Junior High School. Fairmount Avenue Elementary School remained the same. In the 1950s, Gaston Street Junior High School closed, and the building was transformed once again and became part of Fairmount Elementary School, and then later into the Board of Education offices. In 1972, Fairmount Elementary School dropped the "Avenue" from its name and it was moved to a new building on the corner of Northfield and Gregory Avenues (now the Solomon Schechter Day School Lower Campus). The Board of Education offices remained on Gaston Street and took over both old school buildings. In the late 1970s, both buildings were demolished and the Board of Education offices were relocated to Eagle Rock Avenue School. The Gaston Street/Fairmount Avenue land parcel became the site of the Fairmount House (now the John P. Renna, Jr.) Senior Citizens Housing Complex. A small portion of the land became an extension of the parking lot for the adjacent Town Hall.
- Eagle Rock Avenue Elementary School – Converted into new Board of Education offices.
- Fairmount Elementary School – Sold and became Solomon Schechter Day School Lower Campus (Jewish).
- West Orange High School (Northfield Avenue) – Sold and became Seton Hall Preparatory School (Catholic).
- West Orange Mountain High School – Built in 1960 as a second high school, located behind Abraham Lincoln Junior High School with its entrance on Conforti Avenue. It became the "new" West Orange High School when the two high schools merged in 1984.
- Abraham Lincoln Junior High School – On Pleasant Valley Way, it was adjacent and connected to West Orange Mountain High School through a shared auditorium. Later, when West Orange Mountain High School became the "new" West Orange High, Lincoln was closed and the building absorbed by the "new" high school in order to enlarge it.
- Jeffrey Rutzky, Superintendent
- John Calavano, Business Administrator, Board Secretary
- Laura Lab, Board President
- Mark Robertson, Board Vice President
- Sandra Mordecai, Board Member
- Ronald Charles, Board Member
- Irv Schwarzbaum, Board Member
- District information for West Orange School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program: 2008 Schools, United States Department of Education. Accessed April 5, 2011.
- "CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department", Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- "Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test", The Washington Post. September 29, 2005. "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- "Nationwide Survey Finds the 'Best Communities for Music Education' in U.S.", NAMM, April 16, 2009. Accessed November 13, 2009.
- School Data for the West Orange Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- School Map for West Orange Public Schools, CommunityWalk. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for the West Orange Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Gregory Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Hazel Avenue Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Kelly Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed May 20, 2016.
- Pearlman Robert Z. "Kelly Elementary: Astronaut Twins Honored with Grade School Renaming", Space.com, May 19, 2016. Accessed May 20, 2016. "Mark and Scott Kelly, who 44 years ago transferred into the second grade at Pleasantdale Elementary, returned to West Orange, New Jersey for the renaming of their alma mater. Kelly Elementary School was dedicated to the two hometown heroes during an outdoor ceremony held on the front lawn the school with city and school leaders, students and teachers."
- Mount Pleasant Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Redwood Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- St. Cloud Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Washington Elementary School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Thomas A. Edison Central Six School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Liberty Middle School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Roosevelt Middle School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- West Orange High School, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Central Office Administration, West Orange Public Schools. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Essex County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- West Orange Board of Education / Public Schools
- West Orange Public Schools's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- West Orange Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics