Universal Vare Charter School in Winter
|Area code(s)||Area codes 215, 267, and 445|
West Passyunk is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia. It is bounded by Mifflin Street to the north, West Passyunk Avenue to the south, South 18th Street to east, and South 25th Street to the west. It is served by the 1st Police District, located at 24th and Wolf Streets.
Primary and secondary schools
Residents are zoned to the School District of Philadelphia.
Neighborhood children attend either Stephen Girard School (K-4) at 18th Street and Snyder Avenue, James Alcorn Elementary (K-8) at 32nd and Dickinson Street in Grays Ferry, or Delaplaine McDaniel Elementary School (K-6) at 21st and Moore Streets in nearby Point Breeze for elementary school as assigned by the School District of Philadelphia by geographical location.
Designated middle schools are Norris S. Barratt Middle (7-8) at 16th and Wharton Streets in Newbold  or Universal Vare Charter School, formerly the Edwin H. Vare Middle School (5-8) at 24th Street and Snyder Avenue.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia also operates St. Monica School (PK-8), with locations at both 1725 West Ritner Street (senior school) & 16th and Porter Streets (junior school) in Girard Estate, along with St. Thomas Aquinas Parish School (PK-8) at 1718 Morris Street in Newbold, in close proximity.
The Free Library of Philadelphia Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr. Branch (formerly the Passyunk Branch), located at 20th and Shunk Streets, serves West Passyunk. The library received its current name in 2004.
Wilson Park, a 727 unit complex consisting of high & low-rises, is located at 25th and Jackson Streets.
Playground and park
Thomas B. Smith Recreation Center, 2100 S 24th St. 7.6-acre site with playground equipment, a sprayground, basketball courts, handball courts, and sports fields, a football field with artificial turf, a fitness trail, and solar-paneled shade structures. The three-room building has a public computing center and multi-purpose spaces that host a mix of youth activities. In 1917 the site was named for mayor Thomas B. Smith.
Along 24th Street, from McKean Street to Passyunk Avenue, is a tree-lined parkway and walkway, which ends at the triangular Warriner Park, where a monument to Major General John Fulton Reynolds stands.
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) operates a number of buses in the area:
- Rt 79 - East/Westbound on Snyder Ave.
- Rt 37 - East/Westbound on Passyunk Ave.
- Rt 17 - Southbound on 19th St.
- Rt 17 - Northbound on 20th St.
- Rt 7 - Northbound on 22nd St.
- Rt 7 - Southbound on 23rd St.
West Passyunk Neighbors Association (WPNA) is a volunteer based registered community organization of residents, property owners and business owners.
- "Stephen Girard Elementary School Geographic Boundaries". School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "James Alcorn Elementary School Geographic Boundaries". School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Delaplaine McDaniel Elementary School Geographic Boundaries". School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Norris S. Barrat Middle School Geographic Boundaries". School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "Edwin H.Vare Middle School Geographic Boundaries". School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "South Philadelphia High School Geographic Boundaries". School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- "General Facts and Information". Girard Academic Music Program. Archived from the original on February 12, 2013.
- "Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr". Free Library of Philadelphia. Retrieved on October 19, 2012.
- "Wilson Park". Philadelphia Housing Association. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- Thomas B. Smith Recreation Center
- West Passyunk Neighbors Association (WPNA)