West Pullman, Chicago
|Community Area 53 - West Pullman|
Location within the city of Chicago
|• Total||3.58 sq mi (9.27 km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
parts of 60628 and 60643
|Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services|
West Pullman is a neighborhood located on the far south side of the city of Chicago, Illinois. It is one of the 77 official community areas of Chicago. West Pullman is not a part of the historic Pullman company town.
It is bounded on the north by 115th Street, on the east by the former Illinois Central Railroad, on the south by the Calumet River and Riverdale, on the west by Calumet Park, Blue Island and Ashland Avenue.
According to a June 2017 analysis by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, there were 27,982 people and 9,058 households in West Pullman. From 2000-2015, the area lost more than 20% of its residents. The racial makeup of the area was 1% White, 93.4% African American, 0.2% Asian, 0.5% from other races. Residents who identify as Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.8% of the population. In the area, the population was spread out with 29.7% under the age of 19, 19.3% from 20 to 34, 17.7% from 35 to 49, 18.5% from 50 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years.
A high number of jobs were lost in the 1980s and 1990s making unemployment one of West Pullman's biggest problems. The other is the high amount of toxic waste left behind from the factories. A joint effort from community leaders, residents, city officials and the government is attempting to reduce the levels of toxicity.
West Pullman is also home to the largest urban photovoltaic solar plant in the United States. The 10 MW plant utilizes 32,800 SunPower solar panels, spans 39 acres (160,000 m2), and generates enough power to supply energy to approximately 1500 homes in the Midwest. It is owned and operated by Exelon and came online in early 2010.
West Pullman is a stronghold of the Democratic Party. In the 2016 presidential election, West Pullman cast 12,473 votes for Hillary Clinton and cast 217 votes Donald Trump. It was Clinton's 11th largest margin of victory in the 76 community areas she won. In the 2012 presidential election, West Pullman cast 14,496 votes for Barack Obama and 86 votes for Mitt Romney. It was Obama's 8th largest margin of victory in the 76 community areas he won.
- Robert A. Clifford, trial lawyer notable for representing Rachel Barton Pine in her lawsuit against Metra and representing the families of the victims of the respective Alaska Airlines Flight 261 and American Eagle Flight 4184 crashes. He was raised in West Pullman near 121st Street and South Laflin Street.
- "Community Data Snapshot - West Pullman" (PDF). cmap.illinois.gov. MetroPulse. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- Encyclopaedia Chicago: West Pullman
- Chicago Exelon City Solar Plant
- Ali, Tanveer (November 9, 2016). "How Every Chicago Neighborhood Voted In The 2016 Presidential Election". Chicago, Illinois: DNAinfo.com. Archived from the original on March 17, 2017. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Ali, Tanveer (November 7, 2012). "How Every Chicago Neighborhood Voted In The 2012 Presidential Election". Chicago, Illinois: DNAinfo.com. Archived from the original on March 17, 2017. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Connolly, Colleen (February 6, 2015). "Get to Know Your Ward: 9th Ward". Ward Room. WMAQ-TV. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Connolly, Colleen (February 6, 2015). "Get to Know Your Ward: 34th Ward". Ward Room. WMAQ-TV. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Clements, Bill (May 2005). "Chicago's Most Feared Attorney". Illinois Super Lawyers. Eagan, Minnesota. Retrieved September 4, 2017.
- Official City of Chicago West Pullman Community Map
- Exelon and SunPower together In US Largest Solar Power Plant
- Encyclopaedia Chicago: West Pullman
|Morgan Park, Chicago||Roseland, Chicago||Pullman, Chicago||
|West Pullman, Chicago|
|Calumet Park, Illinois||Riverdale, Illinois|