West Roxbury station
West Roxbury station platform looking outbound
450 Lagrange Street|
West Roxbury, Massachusetts
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Opened||June 3, 1850|
|Passengers (2013)||409 (weekday inbound average)|
West Roxbury is an MBTA Commuter Rail station in Boston, Massachusetts. It serves the Needham Line. It is located on an embankment above Lagrange Street in the West Roxbury neighborhood. The station is handicapped accessible with a short mini-high platform on the outbound end of the main platform.
The Boston and Providence Railroad (B&P) opened a branch line from Forest Hills to Dedham (where it connected with the B&P's preexisting branch to Dedham via Readville) via West Roxbury on June 3, 1850. South Street (Roslindale), Central (Bellevue), West Roxbury, and Spring Street stations all opened with the branch. The New Haven Railroad, successor to the B&P, opened the Needham Cutoff on November 4, 1906 from West Roxbury to Needham Junction, allowing trains from the former New York and New England Railroad to reach Boston without needing to use the Boston and Albany Railroad's Highland Branch. Service to Dedham via West Roxbury ended in 1940, leaving West Roxbury an intermediate station on the commuter lines to Needham and West Medway.
West Roxbury station is served by three MBTA Bus routes:
- 35: Dedham Mall/Stimson Street - Forest Hills Station via Belgrade Avenue & Centre Street
- 36: Charles River Loop or V.A. Hospital - Forest Hills Station via Belgrade Avenue & Centre Street
- 37: Baker & Vermont Streets - Forest Hills Station via Belgrade Avenue & Centre Street
Route 37 runs on Lagrange Street adjacent to the station entrances; routes 35 and 36 run on Centre Street about 500 feet (150 m) to the southeast.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- Humphrey, Thomas J.; Clark, Norton D. (1985). Boston's Commuter Rail: The First 150 Years. Boston Street Railway Association. pp. 21–24, 29, 43–46. ISBN 9780685412947.
- Belcher, Jonathan (September 30, 2016). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district 1964-2016" (PDF). NETransit.
Media related to West Roxbury station at Wikimedia Commons