West Salem High School (Salem, Oregon)
|West Salem High School|
|1776 Titan Drive
Salem, Oregon, (Polk County) 97304
|Motto||"It's a great day to be a Titan."|
|School district||Salem-Keizer School District|
|Principal||Ken Philips (2014-present)|
|Number of students||1,742|
Black, forest green, and silver
|Athletics conference||OSAA Central Valley Conference 6A-7|
|Rival||Sprague High School|
|Newspaper||The Titan Spectator|
||This article needs to be updated. (July 2014)|
In 2008, 82% of the school's seniors received a high school diploma. Of 339 students, 279 graduated, 29 dropped out, five received a modified diploma, and 26 were still in high school the following year.
Maps Credit Union Education Branch
MAPS Credit Union education branches provide an opportunity for high school students to participate in the day-to-day operations of a real credit union. Students in certain business classes spend a small amount of time conducting real teller transactions for other students during lunch hours, under the supervision of a trained faculty member. The school's branch has been open since 2003.
Black football field
In 2012, West Salem installed a new black FieldTurf surface for its football field, believed to be the first of that color ever used for outdoor football (the Nebraska Danger of the Indoor Football League also use this color). The decision to use a black surface came about when the school's original green FieldTurf surface, installed in 2002, needed replacing. FieldTurf offered the school a discount of nearly $140,000 from the regular $437,000 replacement cost if it used an "unusual" color; West Salem chose black since it was a school color and also had not previously been used by another school. The school changed its home uniform color from black to green in order to avoid possible complaints by visiting teams about the uniforms blending into the field. The field and uniforms were fully paid for through fundraisers, including four local business sponsors. However, as of 2015, the school has now started to use black uniforms with grey numbers.
- The Titan Spectator
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "MaPS Credit Union Wins Crystal Apple Award". The other school branches are the Vikings Branch at North Salem High School and the Royal Scots Branch at McKay High School: MaPS Credit Union. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Chandler, Rick (August 21, 2012). "Oregon High School says ‘The heck with everything, we’re going with black turf’". Off the Bench. NBCSports.com. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "West Salem's football uniforms getting harder to read". Statesman Journal. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
|This Oregon school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|