West Sand (Chinese: 西沙洲; pinyin: Xīshā-zhōu; Vietnamese: Cồn cát Tây) is a sand cay located in the northwest of the Amphitrite Group of the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea. It is approximately 4 nautical miles (7.4 km) west of Tree Island.
In July 2014, the PRC announced an investment plan of 18 million yuan (about 2.92 million U.S. dollars) that "will be used to build desalination systems and grow trees on Xishazhou Island in the hope of turning the island into a new oasis". In April 2017, Xinhua published pictures of the current state of the forestation project, with trees going on most of the island.
- GEOnet Names Server (GNS)
- 19.海南諸島礁名稱 (in Chinese). Department of Social Affairs, Ministry of the Interior (Republic of China). Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Huyện đảo Hoàng Sa" (in Vietnamese). Da Nang Portal. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "China Focus: South China islands see green transformation". news.xinhuanet.com. 30 July 2014. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Beautiful scenery of south China's Sansha City. Retrieved 2017-04-27.
|This Asia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|