West Somerset College
|Motto||Education for the future|
|DfE URN||136791 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
West Somerset College (is sometimes abbreviated to WSC and was previously known as West Somerset Community College prior to the college re-brand in September 2013) is a fairly large secondary school in Minehead, Somerset, England. It provides education for pupils aged 13 to 16 (school years 9–11) in the main school and 16 to 18 (school years 12–13) in the sixth form (West Somerset uses a three-tier school system). WSC has had Technology College status for several years, meaning the college receives additional funding. In June 2011, the school became an Academy. The school has a partnership with a secondary school (Gymnasium) in Bünde, Germany.
West Somerset College is the only secondary school serving the district of West Somerset. The 660km2 catchment area includes two thirds of the Exmoor National Park and part of the Quantock Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as well as the coastal towns of Minehead and Watchet.
The feeder schools for West Somerset College are:
- Minehead Middle School
- Danesfield C of E Middle School
- Dulverton Middle and Community School
The school is housed in a number of buildings of various ages. There are separate buildings for the Sixth Form block, common room for Sixth Form pupils, Skills and Enterprise Centre which was opened in 2008 and a large Farm Unit where pupils are taught agricultural skills. The Skills and Enterprise building allows pupils to study subjects like, Hair and Beauty, Hairdressing, Hospitality, Animal Care, Construction etc.
- Green, Hannah (29 May 2013). "Focus on: West Somerset Community College". Retrieved 6 Dec 2015 – via Somerset County Gazette.
- Quantick, Steve (2 Dec 2014). "Assistant-Principal-Background-Info-December-2014.pdf" (PDF). West Somerset College. Retrieved 6 Dec 2015.
- "Somerset Schools and Catchment Areas". School Catchment Map. Somerset County Council. Retrieved 6 Dec 2015.
- "Somerset Schools & Catchment Areas". www.google.com. Retrieved 2015-12-06.