West South Line, Chennai Suburban
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|West South Line, Chennai Suburban|
|System||Chennai Suburban Railway|
|Status||Operational till Villupuram|
|Termini||Chennai Beach (Madras Beach)
|Operator(s)||Southern Railway (India)|
|Line length||289.5 kilometres (179.9 mi) (69 km Suburban, 140 km MEMU and 81 km u/c)|
|Track gauge||Broad gauge|
|Operating speed||90 km/h (maximum service speed)|
The West South Line of Chennai Suburban Railway is the longest line running west-south from Chennai (Madras) City covering a distance of almost 289 km. Suburban services terminate at Arakkonam and MEMU services currently run till Vellore Cantonment which will be extended up to Villupuram upon completion of Vellore Cantonment and Villupuram section.
Chennai Beach (Madras Beach) - Tiruvallur
- This section has 2 dedicated lines for suburban train operations apart from 2 main line for mixed traffic.
- EMUs are operated along 3rd and 4th main lines during peak hours.
- 5th and 6th rail lines are planned.
- 9-car EMU are operated in this sector. 12-car EMU are planned to be introduced by 2017 end.
Tiruvallur - Arakkonam
- This section also has 2 dedicated lines for suburban train operations apart from 2 main line for mixed traffic.
- 3rd rail line & 4th rail line construction was completed in 2016.
- 9-car and 8-car EMU & MEMU are operated in this sector.
Arakkonam - Katpadi
- Suburban trains operate in the 2 main lines.
- 9-car and 12-car EMU are operated in this sector.
Katpadi - Vellore Cantonment
- MEMU service operate between Chennai Beach and Vellore Cantonment via Katpadi.
Vellore Cantonment -Tiruvannamalai- Villupuram
- This section has been gauge converted and is being electrified along with passenger services are operating since June. Currently five passenger trains ply over this section