West Vernor-Springwells Historic District
North side of Vernor at Springwells, looking west.
|Architect||Oscar C. Gottesleben, Diehl & Diehl|
|Architectural style||Early Commercial, International Style|
|MPS||West Vernor Highway Survey Area, Detroit, Michigan MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||02001502|
|Added to NRHP||December 12, 2002|
West Vernor-Springwells Historic District is a commercial historic district located along West Vernor Highway between Honorah and Norman in Detroit, Michigan. The district includes 80 acres (32 ha) and 28 buildings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Springwells Village in southwest Detroit, United States, is near the Ford Motor Company River Rouge Plant. Springwells Village is largely residential, and in 2002, part of Springwells Village was recognized as a national historic district.
The neighborhood is served by the Detroit Public Library's Campbell Branch Library, located at 8733 West Vernor in Springwells. In September 1907 Branch 8, the Delray Branch, opened. The branch was on West End Avenue. In January 1922 a replacement branch, James Valentine Campbell Branch on West Fort Street, operated from January 1922 to December 1996. In July 1999 the Campbell Annex Branch opened at the Holy Redeemer Cultural Center. The branch closed in August 2004. In March 2006 the Campbell Branch at Lawndale Station opened.
Springwells includes Odd Fellows Hall, a 14,000-square-foot (1,300 m2) historic building built in 1917. Recently restored with funding from Governor Jennifer Granholm's Cool Cities initiative, it is hoped that the Hall will "serve as an anchor to the neighborhood and a magnet for further economic development and job creation."
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- MICHIGAN - Wayne County - Historic Districts from www.NationalRegisterofHistoricPlaces.com
- Weekly listing of actions taken on properties 12/09/02 through 12/13/02
- "Campbell Branch Library." Detroit Public Library. Retrieved on April 18, 2009.
- "Southwest Detroit Business Association. Retrieved on July 17, 2009.