West Virginia Route 12
|Maintained by WVDOH|
|Length:||48.6 mi (78.2 km)|
|South end:||US 219 in Peterstown|
|I‑64 near Alta|
|North end:||US 60 near Alta|
|Counties:||Monroe, Summers, Greenbrier|
West Virginia Route 12 (WV 12) is a north–south route located in the southern portion of the U.S. state of West Virginia. The southern terminus of the route is at U.S. Route 219 in Peterstown, Monroe County, less than 300 yards (270 m) from the Virginia state line. It compromises a portion of the Farm Heritage Road byway between Peterstown and West Virginia Route 122. The northern terminus of the route is at U.S. Route 60 in Alta, Greenbrier County, near Interstate 64 exit 161.
WV 12 begins at U.S. Route 219 in Peterstown. The route heads north through Peterstown and enters rural southwest Monroe County. Route 12 is part of the Farm Heritage Road, a West Virginia State Byway, from Peterstown to Forest Hill. It passes through the unincorporated communities of Cashmere, Ballard, and Red Sulphur Springs before entering Summers County.
Route 12 enters Forest Hill, where it meets West Virginia Route 122. The highway continues northward from Forest Hill, paralleling the Greenbrier River and passing Big Bend Mountain before it meets West Virginia Route 3 at Hilldale. At this junction, Route 12 forms a concurrency with WV 3, and the highways head east across the river. The routes run alongside the Greenbrier River again at Talcott and continue to Lowell before following the river north to Pence Springs. The routes then head northeast along the river through Barnettown before crossing into Greenbrier County. The two routes enter Alderson, where Route 3 leaves Route 12 to the south.
Route 12 continues east to West Virginia Route 63 at the eastern edge of Alderson, where it turns north. The route heads north through a mountainous area, passing through the communities of Blaker Mills and Asbury. It continues north to Alta, where it meets Interstate 64 at Exit 161 before terminating at U.S. Route 60.
|Summers||Forest Hill||14.1||22.7||WV 122 east – Rock Camp|
|||20.7||33.3||WV 3 west – Hinton||South end of WV 3 overlap|
|Greenbrier||Alderson||36.4||58.6||WV 3 east – Union||North end of WV 3 overlap|
|36.9||59.4||WV 63 east – Ronceverte|
|||48.2||77.6||I‑64 – Beckley, Lewisburg||I-64 exit 161|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Distance calculated using Microsoft MapPoint mapping software.
- "Farm Heritage Road". West Virginia Department of Commerce. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- Monroe County, West Virginia General Highway Map (PDF) (Map). West Virginia Department of Transportation. 2008. § 2. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- Summers County, West Virginia General Highway Map (PDF) (Map). West Virginia Department of Transportation. 2008. § 2. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- Greenbrier County, West Virginia General Highway Map (PDF) (Map). West Virginia Department of Transportation. 2008. § 4. Retrieved 2011-02-10.
- Google (2011-02-10). "Overview map of Route 12 Distances Between Interchanges" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2011-02-10.