The Parish Church
|Area||13.63 km2 (5.26 sq mi) |
|Population||2,700. 2011 Census|
|• Density||197/km2 (510/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||60 miles (97 km) NE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||PO20 7|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
West Wittering is a village and civil parish situated on the Manhood Peninsula in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. It lies near the mouth of Chichester Harbour on the B2179 road 6.5 miles (10.5 km) south-west of Chichester close to the border with Hampshire. The sandy beach has been described as having excellent water quality.
Chichester Harbour, a Site of Special Scientific Interest is partly within the parish. This is a wetland of international importance, a Special Protection Area for wild birds and a Special Area of Conservation. The harbour is of particular importance for wintering wildfowl and waders of which five species reach numbers which are internationally important.
Salt marsh, East Head
- Kate Winslet, actress.
- Sarah Ayton, Olympic gold medalist.
- Michael Ball, actor and singer.
- Nicholas Lyndhurst, actor.
- Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.
- Sir Henry Royce Engineer, designer of Rolls-Royce cars and aero-engines. From 1917 until his death in 1933.
At the mouth of Chichester Harbour lies the little settlement of West Wittering, beautiful and glittering when the sea flows round it at high tide, forlorn and untidy when it is out.— Clare Jerrold
- J.M. Wilson Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1872
- Clare Jerrold Picturesque Sussex, Hove, Combridge 1932
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish" (PDF). West Sussex County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Blue Flag Beaches". FEE International. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Historical details".
- "School details".
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "SSSI Citation — Bracklesham Bay" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 4 April 2009.
- "SSSI Citation — Chichester Harbour" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
- "Sunday Times December 23, 2007".
- "Sunday Mirror May 23, 1999".
- Sunday Telegraph 29 October 2007 p14(Issue no 2,420)
- 1971 Walton-on-Thames, Thomas Nelson and Sons Ltd ISBN 0-17-432370-0
Media related to West Wittering at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Bracklesham Bay.|