The Parish Church
West Wittering shown within West Sussex
|Area||13.63 km2 (5.26 sq mi) |
|Population||2,700. 2011 Census|
|– density||197/km2 (510/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||60 miles (97 km) NE|
|Civil parish||West Wittering|
|Shire county||West Sussex|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||PO20 7|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
West Wittering is a small village and civil parish, on the Manhood Peninsula, in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. It lies near the mouth of Chichester Harbour on the B2179 road 6.5 miles (10.5 km) southwest of Chichester and has a sandy beach with what has been described as excellent water quality.
In 1872 it had a population of 616, a post office and a National School. The 2001 census records a population of 2,684. There is a thriving primary school. The locality is referred to in Giles Cooper's Unman, Wittering and Zigo.
At the mouth of Chichester Harbour lies the little settlement of West Wittering, beautiful and glittering when the sea flows round it at high tide, forlorn and untidy when it is out.— Clare Jerrold
Chichester Harbour, a Site of Special Scientific Interest is partly within the parish. This is a wetland of international importance, a Special Protection Area for wild birds and a Special Area of Conservation. The harbour is of particular importance for wintering wildfowl and waders of which five species reach numbers which are internationally important.
Salt marsh, East Head
- Sarah Ayton, Olympic gold medalist
- Michael Ball actor and singer.
- Nicholas Lyndhurst, actor.
- Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.
- Sir Henry Royce Engineer, designer of Rolls-Royce cars and aero-engines. From 1917 until his death in 1933.
- J.M. Wilson Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1872
- Clare Jerrold Picturesque Sussex, Hove, Combridge 1932
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish" (PDF). West Sussex County Council. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Blue Flag Award". FEE International. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Historical details".
- "School details".
- 1971 Walton-on-Thames, Thomas Nelson and Sons Ltd ISBN 0-17-432370-0
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "SSSI Citation — Bracklesham Bay" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 4 April 2009.
- "SSSI Citation — Chichester Harbour" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
- "Sunday Times December 23, 2007".
- "Sunday Mirror May 23, 1999".
- Sunday Telegraph 29 October 2007 p14(Issue no 2,420)
Media related to West Wittering at Wikimedia Commons