West Wyalong Airport
|West Wyalong Airport|
|Operator||Bland Shire Council|
|Location||West Wyalong, New South Wales, Australia|
|Elevation AMSL||859 ft / 262 m|
West Wyalong Airport (IATA: WWY, ICAO: YWWL) is an airport located 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) south West Wyalong, New South Wales, Australia. The airport is operated by the Bland Shire Council.
Facilities and aircraft
- Runway 09/27: 1,585 m × 30 m (5,200 ft × 98 ft), surface: asphalt
- Runway 04/22: 780 m × 18 m (2,559 ft × 59 ft), surface: gravel
Airlines and destinations
Currently West Wyalong is not serviced by any scheduled flights, but throughout the airport's history it has been served by many regional airlines. East-West Airlines operated services to Sydney from 1953 until 1975, initially using converted ex-military Lockheed Hudson aircraft, later replaced by the Douglas DC-3 and Fokker F27 Friendship. These services were discontinued with the withdrawal of Government subsidy on 30 June 1975.
A number of smaller carriers would later service the West Wyalong - Sydney route, including Country Connection Airlines who provided 11 services per week between 1991 and 2001 using Piper Chieftain aircraft.
Regional Express Airlines provided twice weekly service to Sydney commencing in March 2005. The airline carried 1,928 passengers in the first six months, but it ceased operating the flights in September 2007.
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 10 November 2016, Aeronautical Chart (
- McDonald, Roger. "The Hudson Era". National Library of Australia. Archived from the original on 5 May 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Zaknich, Frank (16 August 2002). "Submission to Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport and Regional Services" (Letter). Letter to Dundas, Ian.
- "Rex West Wyalong Services Successful". Regional Express Airlines. 5 September 2005.
- "Rex exits West Wyalong, Parkes routes". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2007-09-04. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
|This New South Wales airport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|