Westcliff High School for Girls
|Motto||Fide Et Fortitudine
'By faith and fortitude'
(I force no friend, I fear no foe)
|Established||1920 (founded) 1931 (moved to current premises)|
|Type||Grammar school, academy|
|Headmaster||Dr Paul Hayman|
|DfE URN||136490 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Students||1050, including approximately a dozen boys|
|Gender||Girls, mixed sixth form|
It caters for those between the ages of 11 and 18. It is next to Westcliff High School for Boys, with the two schools sharing a canteen, and is opposite St Thomas More High School for Boys. In Ofsted's 2010 report, it stated that there were 1046 students on roll, 286 of which were in the sixth form. It also stated that "the large majority of students are of White British heritage. Many other ethnic groups are represented and the proportion of students from minority ethnic groups is similar to that found nationally. The proportion of students who speak English as an additional language is below that found nationally and all speak English fluently. Eligibility for free school meals is much lower than average. The number of students with special educational needs and/or disabilities is lower than average."
The school gained specialist status in science and engineering in 2003. The new English block was completed late 2009 and opened to pupils in the spring term of 2010. The new building has three floors and caters for English, Law, Psychology and other subjects. The school converted to academy status in 2011. In January 2014, Westcliff High School for Girls achieved second highest GCSE results in the entire UK.
Notable former pupils
- Pam Hobbs, author
- Alison Childs, Olympic diver, 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games
- Catherine Bishop, silver medalist, coxless pairs, 2004 Olympic Games
- Nathalie Emmanuel, actress
- Annabel Port, radio broadcaster
- Jack Monroe, journalist and campaigner
- Wei Ming Kam, contributing author to The Good Immigrant (edited by Nikesh Shukla)
- "Westcliff High School for Girls Inspection report". October 2010.
- "Westcliff grammar ranks second in country". Echo. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "The Times top state schools at A Level". 2007-02-23. Archived from the original on 2007-02-23. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Westcliff High School for Girls - Echo". www.echo-news.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "Westcliff High School for Girls in Westcliff-on-Sea key state results". www.eduexpress.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-03-03.