|Owned by Schlumberger|
|Industry||Energy Equipment and Services|
|Founded||1933 (in 2000, company took on current name)|
|Headquarters||London Gatwick Airport|
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
|Maurice Nessim, President |
|Products||Seismic Data Acquisition for both land and marine, Data Processing and Electromagnetics|
The company provides reservoir imaging, monitoring, and development services. The company, a business segment of Schlumberger, offers 3D and time-lapse seismic surveys, electromagnetic surveys, and multicomponent surveys for delineating prospects and reservoir management. It also provides geophysical, land and transition-zone acquisition, marine acquisition, electromagnetics, and data processing and reservoir seismic services.
The company was formed by the merger in 2000 of two of the world's largest seismic contractors, Western Geophysical (founded in 1933) and Geco-Prakla. Schlumberger, owners of Geco-Prakla paid cash to Baker Hughes, which then owned Western, for a 70% stake in a joint venture of the combined companies. In May 2006, Schlumberger bought out Baker Hughes' 30% stake for a reported $2.4 billion, making WesternGeco one of its subsidiaries. In January 2018, Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard announced that Schlumberger would be exiting the seismic acquisition business, both onshore and offshore, while retaining its multiclient data processing and interpretation segments. This decision followed the bankruptcy filings of several competitors in the seismic services sector.
WesternGeco has its head office and its Europe/African offices in the Schlumberger House, a 124,000 square feet (11,500 m2) building on the grounds of Gatwick Airport in Crawley, England, in Greater London.
- "Schlumberger Executive Management".
- "Business Week".
- Completed merger of the surface seismic data acquisition and data processing interests of Schlumberger Limited and Baker Hughes Incorporated Archived 2011-10-18 at the Wayback Machine., United Kingdom Office of Fair Trading, 2000-12-21.
- Schlumberger Financial News, 2006-07-21
- "2000s: Building on core strengths". Schlumberger. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- Addison, Velda (2018-01-19). "Schlumberger To Exit Land, Marine Seismic Acquisition Business". Exploration & Production. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- "Regions Archived 2009-06-01 at the Wayback Machine.." WesternGeco. Retrieved on 23 July 2009. "Corporate Headquarters" "Address: WesternGeco, Schlumberger House Buckingham Gate, Gatwick Airport West Sussex RH6 0NZ United Kingdom"
- "Product line Archived 2011-06-15 at the Wayback Machine.." WesternGeco. Retrieved on 12 February 2011. "Corporate Headquarters" "Address: Schlumberger House Buckingham Gate Gatwick Airport West Sussex, RH6 0NZ UK"
- "Europe/Africa Archived 2011-07-18 at the Wayback Machine.." WesternGeco. Retrieved on 26 December 2010. "Address: WesternGeco, Ltd. Schlumberger House Buckingham Gate, Gatwick Airport West Sussex, RH6 0NZ UK ."
- Eade, Christine. "The market in minutes - Sussex." Property Week. 8 June 2007. Retrieved on 12 February 2011.
- "Regions Archived 2009-06-01 at the Wayback Machine.." WesternGeco. Retrieved on 23 July 2009. "WesternGeco is organized geographically, operating through a network of five regional offices around the world plus our headquarters in London, UK." and "Corporate Headquarters" "Address: WesternGeco, Schlumberger House Buckingham Gate, Gatwick Airport West Sussex RH6 0NZ United Kingdom"