Western (2017 film)
|Directed by||Valeska Grisebach|
|Written by||Valeska Grisebach|
Syuleyman Alilov Letifov
|Edited by||Bettina Böhler|
Piffl Medien (Germany)|
Stadtkino Wien Filmverleih (Austria)
Western is a 2017 internationally co-produced drama film written, produced, and directed by Valeska Grisebach. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival. The film has been well received by critics.
German construction workers Meinhard and Vincent are contractor to build a hydroelectric plant in the remote Bulgarian countryside near Greece, where they experience a clash of cultures and prejudices with the local villagers.
- Meinhard Neumann as Meinhard
- Reinhardt Wetrek as Vincent
- Syuleyman Alilov Letifov as Adrian
- Veneta Frangova as Veneta
- Vyara Borisova as Tania
- Waldemar Zang as The Greek
- Detlef Schaich as Helmuth
The film was shot almost entirely with newcomers as actors.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 95% based on 55 reviews, and an average rating of 8.1/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 78 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Western received praise from critics. Justin Chang of the Los Angeles Times wrote, "The story is a faultlessly observed, broodingly intelligent piece of realism, a dispatch from a sun-baked frontier that could hardly feel more mundane or specific, but which Grisebach somehow suffuses with the beauty and power of myth." In his review for The New York Times, A. O. Scott wrote, "Western is as precise as a dropped pin on a GPS map, which makes its sense of mystery all the more powerful."
- "The 2017 Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Winfrey, Graham (13 April 2017). "2017 Cannes Film Festival Announces Lineup: Todd Haynes, Sofia Coppola, 'Twin Peaks' and More". IndieWire. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Yoshida, Emily (20 February 2018). "Western Is an Empathetic Snapshot of an Obscure Corner of European Life". Vulture. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- van Hoeij, Boyd (18 May 2017). "'Western': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Western (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "Western (2018) Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Chang, Justin (19 April 2018). "Valeska Grisebach's 'Western' is a broodingly intelligent drama of culture clash". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Scott, A. O. (15 February 2018). "Review: In 'Western,' German Workers Fan Tensions in a Bulgarian Town". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
|This article related to a German film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to an Austrian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|