Western Albemarle High School
|Western Albemarle High School|
Western Albemarle High School entrance
5941 Rockfish Gap Turnpike
|School type||Public, Comprehensive high school|
|School district||Albemarle County Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Pamela Moran|
|Principal||Mr. Darah Bonham|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||VHSL Group 3A West Region|
|Rival||Albemarle Patriots, Charlottesville Black Knights, Monticello Mustangs|
|Newspaper||The Western Hemispher]|
|Feeder schools||J. T. Henley Middle School|
Western Albemarle High School is a public high school located in Crozet, Virginia. Western Albemarle is often simply referred to as Western or WAHS (pronounced "woz") by students and locals. The school opened in September 1977.
Western Albemarle enrolls approximately 1,073 students. It is situated at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains on a seventy-five acre site adjacent to Highway 250 and Interstate 64. WAHS is part of the Albemarle County Public School System, serving the western and central areas of Albemarle County.
The main feeder school is J. T. Henley Middle School, located directly across Route 250
In January 2008, it was announced that Western was one of two schools (along with Murray Elementary) in the County that received the Governor's Award for Educational Excellence. This was the highest honor in the new incentive program for schools and school divisions created by the Board of Education to advance Governor Tim Kaine’s “competence to excellence” agenda.
Also in 2008, the school was ranked 1310 of 1358 of the top 5% of U.S. high schools by Newsweek, placing it in the 9th percentile of school quality. It is also ranked in the top 10 of the state of Virginia.
Western Albemarle is notable for its successful sports programs, considered as some best in the state. In 2007, Western won the Wachovia Cup, the award given to the best all-around athletic program in the state of Virginia. The school belongs to the Jefferson District of Region II of the Virginia High School League (VHSL). The Boys Soccer Team won its third state championship in 2016, with other championships coming in 1996 and 2014. The Girls Soccer Team won their second and third state championships in 2017 and 2018, with the first in 2002. In football they have been three time Jefferson District champs, with a 20-4 record in the past 4 years, led by stunning performances by Western's own Walter Johnson affectionately known as Birdman.[needs update] In 2011, the Western Albemarle track team sent several relay teams to the national track competition.[which?] In 2004-2005, the school won 21 district, regional, and state championships. The girls' swimming and diving team has won the VHSL 3A State Championship 6 years in a row. The boys' team won its first state championship in 2016 and the second in 2018. In 2017, the Girls and Boys Cross Country Teams both won the state championship! In 2018, the Boys and Girls Indoor Track teams also won the state championship.
A team from Western Albemarle High School was the winner of the inaugural "Juul Cloud Olympiad" back in March of 2018. The school will field another team for the second competition in March of 2019, hosted at the neighboring Albemarle High School.
In 2006, a 16-year-old Western Albemarle High School student and a 15-year-old Albemarle High School student were arrested after it was discovered that they were plotting to detonate explosives at their schools. The students were both found guilty of conspiracy to commit murder and conspiracy to use explosives to destroy a school house, and have been committed to the juvenile justice system.
- Bill Baber, NFL tight end
- Billy Campbell, American film and television actor
- LeRoi Moore, American saxophonist
- Colin Steers, contestant on Season 2 of Bravo's Make Me a Supermodel
- "Virginia Dept. of Education School Report Card". Virginia Department of Education. Retrieved October 4, 2016.
- Timothy M. Kaine (January 10, 2008). "Governor Kaine Announces Awards for High-Performing Virginia Public Schools". Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- America's Top Public High Schools
- Lehmbeck, Alexander (June 12, 2016). "Warriors on top — again". The Daily Progress. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Western Albemarle High School Athletics page
- Counts, Ron (February 19, 2016). "Western Albemarle sweeps 3A state swimming titles". Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "2014 NSC Results". Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Liesel Nowak (April 6, 2006). "13-year-olds guilty in bomb plot Hawranke hearing delayed". The Daily Progress. Archived from the original on November 8, 2013. Retrieved July 27, 2006.
- "Student convicted in bomb plot". Richmond Times-Dispatch. March 30, 2006. Retrieved July 27, 2006.
- "Billy Baber". Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Billy Baber". NFL. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Make Me a Supermodel (season 2)