|Subsidiary of Ideal Industries|
|Founded||1965 in Defiance, Ohio|
|Founder||C. William Schlosser|
|Headquarters||Colorado Springs, Colorado|
Western Forge is an American manufacturing company. The company manufactures hand tools to be sold under other brands, including private-label brands such as Craftsman and Husky. It is a subsidiary of Ideal Industries.
Western Forge was founded in Defiance, Ohio in 1965 as a joint venture between Sears and C. William Schlosser to make torque wrenches. In 1966, it relocated to Colorado Springs, Colorado, where it built a new manufacturing facility. In the next few years, the company began producing screwdrivers, punches, chisels, adjustable wrenches, and pliers.
In the late 1990s, Western Forge moved its screwdriver production to a plant in Murphy, North Carolina. In April 2006, it closed the plant and consolidated its operations in Colorado Springs, citing declining sales. The company received $200,000 in cash incentives from the City of Colorado Springs and the Colorado Springs Economic Development Corporation to stay in Colorado Springs. Sears Craftsman products (and others) that are produced by Western Forge are marked with a "WF" on them.
Husky Pro screwdrivers.
Craftsman Professional pliers.
Craftsman beam torque wrench.
Craftsman bottle opener.
- "Ideal Announces Acquisition of Western Forge a Premier Manufacturer of American Made Hand Tools" (Press release). Ideal Industries. 2009-12-31. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- Varnon, Rob (2010-06-25). "Workers hope for aid in closing". The Advocate. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Heilman, Wayne (2008-03-29). "Forging ahead". The Gazette. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Western Forge. "Our History". Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- Sears Archives. "Sears Digital Archive: Timeline: 1970s". Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- Chakrabarty, Gargi (2005-12-22). "Springs to gain 150 Western Forge jobs". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Sealover, Ed (2005-12-03). "Should firms be paid to stay?". The Gazette. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Heilman, Wayne (2010-01-04). "Western Forge to be sold to Ideal Industries". The Gazette. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Heilman, Wayne (2010-01-05). "New owners to pump millions into Western Forge". The Gazette. Retrieved 2010-03-17.