Western General Hospital
|Western General Hospital|
Clock Tower at the Western General Hospital
|Location||Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland|
|Care system||NHS Scotland|
|Hospital type||General Hospital|
|Affiliated university||University of Edinburgh Medical School|
|Emergency department||Minor Injuries Unit only|
|Website||Western General Hospital|
The hospital was designed by Peddie and Kinnear and opened as the Craigleith Hospital and Poorhouse in 1868. It was requisitioned for the treatment of war casualties during the First World War. A nurses' home was added in 1935 and a pathology block was completed in 1939. It joined the National Health Service in 1948 and a new library was completed in 1979.
In June 2012 the Medicine for the Elderly services were transferred from the Royal Victoria Hospital to a new purpose-built facility known as the Royal Victoria Building at the Western General Hospital.
A facility to treat young people with cancer aged 16 to 24 was opened in the Western General Hospital in December 2013.
The hospital has over 700 beds including day beds. Although the Western no longer has an Accident and Emergency department, a nurse-led minor injuries unit has been operating on the site since 1994.
The hospital serves as a base for the neurology and neurosurgery centre for south east Scotland ("Department of Clinical Neurosciences"). There is a major national cancer research and treatment centre at the hospital which was refurbished in 2007.
- "Western General Hospital History". NHS Lothian. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Western General Hospital". Historic Hospitals. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Maggie's Edinburgh". Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Royal Victoria Building". NHS Lothian. 9 June 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Duchess opens £1.35m cancer centre in Edinburgh". BBC News. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Western General Hospital (WGH)". NHS Lothian. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Minor injuries clinic is major asset to Capital". The Scotsman. 15 December 2009. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Celebrating the Department of Clinical Neurosciences at the Western General Hospital". University of Edinburgh. 1 December 2018. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Chemotherapy and trials suite". Aitken Turnbull. Retrieved 13 June 2014.