Western Global Airlines
|Founded||6 March 2013|
|Company slogan||The World's Fastest Growing Cargo Airline|
|Parent company||Western Global Holdings|
Florida, United States
Western Global Airlines is a cargo airline based in Estero, Florida, United States. Founded on March 6, 2013, it was certified by the United States Department of Transportation on February 24, 2014 with FAA approval on August 1, 2014 for operations using McDonnell Douglas MD-11F aircraft. Boeing 747-400 freighter operations were approved by the FAA on November 16, 2015 and Department of Defense approval was granted on May 25, 2016.
Its wide range of services includes long term wet lease solutions (ACMI), commercial charters and military charters. Its hub is located at Southwest Florida International Airport.
As of October 2017, Western Global Airlines owns the following aircraft:
On February 13, 2016, Western Global Airlines Flight AJK-4425, a McDonnell Douglas MD11F registered as N545JN took off from Munich, Germany on a flight to King Shaka International Airport, South Africa carrying bank notes destined for the South African Reserve Bank. While making a fuel stop in Harare, Zimbabwe the aircraft was impounded after ground staff reported seeing blood dripping from the aircraft. The crew stated that the blood was the result of a bird strike which had been noticed by the Munich ground staff. However, a subsequent search also found a man's body in the lower compartment. Zimbabwean authorities later released the crew and the aircraft, with Police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba reporting the man was a likely stowaway and had died from a lack of oxygen. The identity of the man was not found due to the body being badly decomposed. The official story has been questioned with claims that the CIA was involved in a secret operation, although this theory has been widely disregarded.
- "Federal Aviation Administration - Airline Certificate Information - Detail View". av-info.faa.gov. Retrieved 2019-06-27.
- "Western Global Airlines Fleet Details and History". www.planespotters.net. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Cargo aircraft released, but questions remain". IOL News. 20 February 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Blood dripping from plane leads to body". IOL News. 15 February 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Hradecky, Simon (16 February 2016). "News: A Western Global MD11 in Harare on Feb 14th 2016 and the results of the fuel stop". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Western Global Airlines Issues Update on Aircraft Situation". Business Wire. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Razemba, Freeman; Sachiti, Roselyne (22 February 2016). "Zimbabwe: A Plane, R60 Billion and a Dead Man". The Herald (Harare). Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Bullock, Penn (23 February 2016). "South Florida's Notorious Southern Air Connected to Zimbabwe Plane Mystery". New Times Broward-Palm Beach. Retrieved 31 July 2018.