Western Isles Hospital
|Western Isles Hospital|
|NHS Western Isles|
|Location||Stornoway, Eileanan Siar, Scotland|
|Hospital type||General (Rural)|
The Western Isles Hospital (Scottish Gaelic: Ospadal nan Eilean Siar) is a rural general hospital in Stornoway on Lewis in the Western Isles of Scotland. It is run by NHS Western Isles, the local health board. As of 2013[update] the hospital has 116 beds across a range of specialities, including general medicine, geriatrics, paediatrics, general surgery, orthopaedics, obstetrics and gynaecology and psychiatry.
Some specialist services are provided by Consultants from Raigmore Hospital in Inverness on a rotational basis, and also by locum consultants. Junior doctors may be on rotations that take them across other parts of the north of Scotland.
The hospital employs nursing staff that are in the majority locals who trained on the Scottish mainland and have returned to work on the island. A variety of allied health professionals are based at the hospital, including dieticians, pharmacists, physiotherapists, podiatrists and radiographers.
The Western Isles Hospital also features the largest tiled roof in the world. 
Within the hospital there is a learning centre and purpose-built facilities for clinical skills training.
Costing £32 million, and taking two years to construct, the hospital was opened to patients in September 1992. It was given an official opening on 26 March 1993, by HRH Prince Charles, who was said to have been impressed with the new facilities following a tour. In 2007 a six-bedded stroke rehabilitation unit opened. In 2012, the hospital marked the 20th anniversary of its opening.
A modernisation plan for the hospital has included improvement work during 2013 and 2014 to a number of areas. In late 2014 the health board announced a Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scanner service would be based at the hospital.
- "Twenty years of Western Isles Hospital". Stornoway Gazette. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Angus Corbett (1984)
- "Western Isles Campus". University of Stirling. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Western Isles Hospital opens new Stroke Unit". Stornoway Gazette. 11 May 2007. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "WIH 20th Anniversary". NHS Western Isles. 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Update on hospital refurbishment process". Stornoway Gazette. 8 June 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Western Isles Hospital unveils new service". Stornoway Gazette. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 1 November 2016.