Western Naval Command
|Western Naval Command|
INS Vikramaditya at sea
|Flag Officer Commanding in Chief||Vice Admiral Girish Luthra|
|FOC Western Fleet||Rear Admiral M A Hampiholi, NM|
Area of responsibility
The Western Naval Command (WNC) is the sword arm of the Indian Navy and naval operations conducted on the western seaboard would be central to the outcome of any conflict at sea against Pakistan. The western fleet is the two-star level operational formation of the Western Naval Command. It utilizes Mumbai and Karwar as its home ports, with INS Kunjali its HQ in Mumbai. The fleet at the WNC is based under Flag Officer Maharashtra Area (FOMA) and provides naval defence in the sensitive north Arabian Sea adjacent to Pakistan. INS Kadamba, a large naval base, was constructed under Project Seabird and completed in 2005. This naval base, at Karwar in Karnataka, is used exclusively by the Indian Navy.
The Flagship carrier of the western fleet is INS Vikramaditya. The WNC is equipped with submarine pens, a carrier dock and main maintenance dockyards. The Carrier Battle Group of the Western Fleet consists of INS Vikramaditya, Delhi class destroyers, Talwar class frigates, Brahmaputra class frigates, INS Kolkata Indian navy's brand new destroyer and Sindhughosh class submarines. The Naval Aviation is provided by Sea Harrier strike aircraft and MiG-29K fighters along with airborne early warning Kamov Ka-31 Helicopters.
Full-fledged shipbuilding facilities on the western seaboard include the Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai, the Goa Shipyard Limited and the Cochin Shipyard Ltd in Kerala, which is India's largest repair dry dock.
The Western Naval Command is organized as follows:
|Flag Officer Commanding in Chief||Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, AVSM, VSM|
|Chief of Staff||Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, AVSM, VSM|||
|Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet (FOCWF)||Rear Admiral M A Hampiholi, NM|||
|Flag Officer Maharashtra and Gujarat Area (FOMAG)||Rear Admiral Sanjay Mahindru|||
|Flag Officer Goa Area (FOGA)||Rear Admiral Puneet Kumar Bahl|||
|Commodore Commanding Submarines (COMCOS) - West|
|Flag Officer Naval Aviation (FONA)||Rear Admiral Puneet Kumar Bahl|||
|Flag Officer Offshore Defence Advisory Group (FODAG)||Rear Admiral Deepak Bali|||
|Flag Officer Karnataka Naval Area (FOK)||Rear Admiral KJ Kumar|
|Admiral Superintendent Dockyard (ASD) - Mumbai||Rear Admiral Sandeep Naithani, VSM|||
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Maharashtra|
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Gujarat||Read Admiral S Beecha|||
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Karnataka|
|Naval Officer In-Charge (NOIC) - Goa|
Naval bases under Western Naval Command are the following
|INS Dwarka||Okha||Gujarat||Logistics and Maintenance support|
|INS Sardar Patel||Porbandar||Logistics Support|
|INS Kadamba||Karwar||Karnataka||Logistics and Maintenance support|
|INS Vajrakosh||Naval ammunition and missile depot|
|INHS Patanjali||Naval Hospital|
|INS Gomantak||Vasco da gama||Goa||Logistics and Maintenance support|
|INS Hansa||Dabolim||Naval Air Station|
|INHS Jeevanti||Vasco-da-gama||Naval Hospital|
|INS Angre||Mumbai||Maharashtra||Logistics and Administrative support|
|INS Abhimanyu||MARCOS base|
|INS Agnibahu||Missile boat squadron base|
|INHS Asvini||Naval Hospital|
|INS Kunjai||Naval Air Station|
|INS Shikra||Naval Air Station|
|INS Tanaji||Naval ammunition depot|
|INS Trata||Coastal Missile Defense|
|INS Tunir||Naval missile depot|
|INS Vajrabahu||Submarine base|
List of Commanders
|Name||Rank||Appointment Date||Left Office||References|
|Adhar Kumar Chatterji||Admiral|
|Sourendra Nath Kohli||Admiral||12 February 1971||28 February 1973|
|Jal Cursetji||Admiral||1 March 1973||28 February 1976|
|Radhakrishna Hariram Tahiliani||Admiral||March 1983||May 1984|
|Vijai Singh Shekhawat||Admiral||1986|
|S Jain||Vice Admiral|||
|K K Kohli||Vice Admiral||12 September 1990|||
|Madhvendra Singh||Admiral||1 April 1998||31 March 2001|||
|Vinod Pasricha||Vice Admiral||1 April 2001||31 December 2002|
|Arun Prakash||Admiral||1 January 2003||30 September 2003|||
|Madanjit Singh||Vice Admiral||1 October 2003||28 February 2006|||
|Sangram Singh Byce||Vice Admiral||1 March 2006||31 July 2007|||
|Jagjit Singh Bedi||Vice Admiral||1 August 20071||30 April 2009|||
|Sanjeev Bhasin||Vice Admiral||1 May 2009||30 April 2012|||
|Devendra Kumar Joshi||Admiral||1 May 2012||31 August 2012|||
|Sekhar Sinha||Vice Admiral||1 September 2012||31 May 2014|||
|Anil Kumar Chopra||Vice Admiral||1 June 2014||31 March 2015|||
|Surinder Pal Singh Cheema||Vice Admiral||1 April 2015||31 January 2016|||
|Sunil Lanba||Admiral||1 February 2016||31 May 2016|||
|Girish Luthra||Vice Admiral||1 June 2016||Incumbent|||
- "Organisation of Western Command". Indian Navy. Archived from the original on 2013-02-10. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Anil Chopra to take over as Western Naval Command chief today". india.com. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Delay mars main air defence weapon deployment on INS Kolkata". 13 August 2014.
- "Organisation | Indian Navy". indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Vice Admiral AB Singh takes over as Chief of Staff Western Naval Command". Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- SpokespersonNavy (22 January 2018). "Rear Admiral MA Hampiholi, NM assumes command of the Western Fleet, relieves Rear Admiral RB Pandit who awaits his next appt on promotion as Vice Admiral. Commissioned in 1985, RAdm Hampiholi, an Anti-Submarine Warfare specialist, is an alumnus of NDA, DSSC & CNWpic.twitter.com/4Ua0tmIjT9". @indiannavy. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "SpokespersonNavy on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Change of Command - Flag Officer Naval Aviation and Flag Officer Goa Area | Indian Navy". www.indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "'INS Betwa to be operational by September 2018'". www.hindustantimes.com/. 2017-01-13. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- SpokespersonNavy (12 January 2018). "Rear Admiral Sandeep Naithani, VSM takes over as the Admiral Superintendent, Naval Dockyard, Mumbai @SpokespersonMoDpic.twitter.com/CUWQekikQ6". @indiannavy. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "SpokespersonNavy on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- "Organisation of Western Naval Command, Mumbai | Indian Navy". indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "INS Sardar Patel: Indian Navy's new base commissioned in Gujarat - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Indian Navy rocked by major succession scandal". Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Cardozo, Major General Ian (2006-12-01). The Sinking of INS Khukri: Survivor's Stories. Roli Books Private Limited. ISBN 9789351940999.
- "Latest Releases". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Arun Prakash,PVSM,AVSM,VrC,VSM,ADC will be the new Naval Chief". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Arun Prakash takes over as C-in-C of WNC". Zee News. 2002-12-31. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Admiral Byce named flag officer CIC of Western Naval Command". Zee News. 2006-02-28. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "The Hindu : New Naval appointments". www.thehindu.com. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "New Flag Appointments in the Navy". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "New Deputy Chief for the Navy". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Bedi takes charge of Western Naval Command". www.oneindia.com. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Sanjeev Bhasin to head the Western Naval Command | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "D K Joshi is new chief of Western Naval Command - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha PVSM AVSM NM& BAR, ADC Appointed as Commander in Chief Western Naval Command to Take Over from Vice Admiral DK Joshi". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Anil Chopra takes over as Western Naval Commander - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "VAdm SPS Cheema takes over as FOC-in-C(West) | Indian Navy". indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba takes over from Vice Admiral SPS Cheema as the Commander-in-Chief of Southern Naval Command". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba Takes Over Western Naval Command". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Girish Luthra takes over Western Naval Command | Indian Navy". www.indiannavy.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Vice Admiral Girish Luthra Takes Over Western Naval Command". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-10-24.