Western School Corporation
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Western School Corporation is a public school district which serves Russiaville, Alto, New London, West Middleton, and southwestern Kokomo in Howard County, Indiana. The school buildings themselves straddle two Howard County townships, Harrison and Monroe. The district itself spans three Howard County Townships: Harrison, Honey Creek and Monroe.
The school came to national attention in the mid-1980s due to its failure to re-admit hemophiliac Ryan White after being diagnosed with AIDS and recovering from an opportunistic infection (viral pneumonia). 117 parents (from a school of 360 total students) and 50 teachers signed a petition encouraging school leaders to ban White from school.
- Randy McCracken, Superintendent
- Western Administration Building
- Western Primary School (K-2)
- Western Intermediate School (3-5)
- Western Middle School (6-8)
- Western High School(9-12)
Western High School
Western High School was Founded in 1949. in 2008-2009 its enrollment was 813.
Its colors are black, red, and white, and its mascot is the panther.
- ISSMA State Champions:Class C-1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1996, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015; Class B-1988
- ISSMA State Runners-up:Class C-2007, 2013
- Bands of America Grand National Champions, Class A: 1984 (5th overall), 1985 (10th overall), 1988 (12th overall), 1990 (14th overall), 2012 (31st overall)
- IHSAA State Championships: 3- Girls' Golf Team (2002), Baseball Class 3A (2012), Girls' Basketball 3A (2014)
- IHSAA State Runners-up: 4 [2-Girls' Softball (1993, 1994); 2- Girls' Golf Team (2002, 2004)]
- The High School competes in the Mid-Indiana Conference (MIC) for athletics.
- Robotics Team: Panthertech  (292)- Newton Award Winner 1 (2003)
- Ezra Hendrickson - former MLS and international soccer player.
- Ryan White - hemophiliac. Prohibited from attending school after being diagnosed with AIDS in December 1984.