Western Wrestling Conference
|Western Wrestling Conference
|Established||April 27, 2006|
|Dissolved||July 29, 2015|
|Sports fielded||Men's wrestling|
|Region||Midwestern United States, Western United States|
The conference was formed on April 27, 2006 by eight schools with wrestling squads that had formerly competed as independents since the WWC charter members were all members of conferences that did not sponsor wrestling except one true independent. The original members were the United States Air Force Academy and the University of Wyoming of the Mountain West Conference, California State University, Fresno (more commonly known as Fresno State) from the Western Athletic Conference, North Dakota State University and South Dakota State University of The Summit League, the University of Northern Colorado out of the Big Sky Conference, the University of Northern Iowa from the Missouri Valley Conference, and independent Utah Valley University (then named Utah Valley State College).
Fresno State dropped their wrestling program before competing in the conference.
On October 22, 2006 the conference logo, designed by Flint Communications of Fargo, North Dakota was introduced.
The conference began competition in the 2006–07 school year.
Lacking the required minimum of seven member schools, the NCAA did not recognize the conference and required the WWC schools athletes to qualify for the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships through the Western Regional Tournament — a tournament which included only the six WCC schools and also served as the de facto conference championship .
The Big 12 Conference had been wrestling with only four teams since Nebraska moved to the Big Ten in 2011, but the NCAA had annually granted the conference a waiver for its conference championships to be recognized and its champions and runnersup to be granted automatic qualification to the national championships. In 2015, the NCAA declined to grant the waiver, and the Big 12 Conference coaches declined to have their athletes wrestle in the Western Regional Tournament. As a result, Big 12 wrestlers advanced to the NCAA Championships only as at-large invitees. At that time, talk began about the Big 12 inviting the Western Wrestling Conference teams to become affiliate members of the Big 12.
On July 29, 2015, the Big 12 Conference and the six member schools of the WWC announced that Air Force, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley, and Wyoming were being added to the Big 12's wrestling competition as affiliates, joining Big 12 full member schools Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and West Virginia to make a ten team conference slate. While expanding the competition by 150%, the Big 12 chose to end its tradition (carried over from the prior Big Eight Conference) of holding the championships at campus sites and will hold the 2016 Big 12 Wrestling Championships at the neutral Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Air Force Falcons (2007–2015)
- North Dakota State Bison (2007–2015)
- Northern Colorado Bears (2007–2015)
- South Dakota State Jackrabbits (2007–2015)
- Utah Valley Wolverines (2007–2015)
- Wyoming Cowboys (2007–2015)
- Fresno State Bulldogs (never competed, dropped program)
- Northern Iowa Panthers (2007–2012) - moved to Mid-American Conference
Team dual meet champions
|2013||North Dakota State||5–0|||
|2014||North Dakota State
|2015||North Dakota State||5–0|||
Team tournament champions
The NCAA West Regional served as the conference tournament.
|2014||North Dakota State||74.0|||
|2015||North Dakota State||70.5|||
- "Western Wrestling Conference". CBSi Advanced Media. Archived from the original on March 15, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "Falcons Join Newly Formed Western Wrestling Conference". WWC announces West Regional Pre-Seeds for Saturday. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Athletics Department Takes Action To Balance Budget And Stabilize Programs". Fresno, California: Fresno State University. June 15, 2006. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Western Wrestling Conference Unveils New Logo". Cedar Falls, Iowa: Utah Valley University. 22 October 2006. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "North Dakota State Continues Western Wrestling Conference Action At Wyoming This Friday, Air Force on Saturday". North Dakota State University. January 24, 2007. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "MAC Adds Three Affiliate Members In Wrestling". Cleveland, Ohio: Mid-American Conference. September 19, 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "WWC announces West Regional Pre-Seeds for Saturday". WWC announces West Regional Pre-Seeds for Saturday. March 4, 2015. Archived from the original on March 21, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "Big 12 to undergo wrestling overhaul". The Des Moines Register. March 7, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "Big 12 wrestling to expand in 2016". Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier. March 7, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "Big 12 Adds Affiliate Members for Gymnastics and Wrestling". Big 12 Conference. July 29, 2015. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "Western Wrestling Conference Fact Book" (PDF). WWC. 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "2014-15 Conference Standings". WWC. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "North Dakota State Repeats as NCAA West Regional Champs". WWC. March 8, 2015. Retrieved April 20, 2015.