The original MainPlace Santa Ana entrance sign in November 2006.
|Location||Santa Ana, California, USA|
|Address||2800 N. Main Street, Santa Ana, CA 92705|
|Opening date||September 26, 1987|
|Management||Centennial Real Estate Company|
|Owner||Centennial Real Estate Company and others|
|No. of stores and services||175|
|No. of anchor tenants||3|
|Total retail floor area||1,109,800sq.ft.|
|No. of floors||3|
MainPlace Mall, formerly known as MainPlace Santa Ana and Westfield MainPlace, is shopping center located on the far north side of Santa Ana, California and is anchored by J.C. Penney, Macy's, and Nordstrom. It is currently managed by Centennial Real Estate Company.
MainPlace Santa Ana was built on the site of Fashion Square shopping center that was at the site since 1958. Bullock's was one of Fashion Square's original anchors and the store predated the shopping center by four years. I. Magnin was the another anchor at Fashion Square.
After a period of decline, JMB Property demolished most of the shopping center, except for the anchors, and had it replaced by MainPlace in 1987. Bullock's chose to stay on while I. Magnin ultimately decided not to remain. Along with Bullock's, Nordstrom and J.W. Robinson's were the new anchors when MainPlace first opened.
In 2000, JMB Urban, the successor to JMB, sold Mainplace and other mall properties to the American branch of Rodamco. Rodamco, in turn, sold it North American properties to Westfield in 2002 and Westfield renamed the property Westfield Shoppingtown MainPlace. Westfield later renamed the Westfield MainPlace in 2005.
Macy's decided to close its mens and home store at the mall in 2012, and consolidate it with the main store. The old Macy's store was split between 24 Hour Fitness, Ashley Furniture Home Store, and an entertainment center. In December 2015, Westfield sold the mall to a consortium that was headed by Centennial Real Estate Company and included Montgomery Street Partners and USAA Real Estate Company.
- Macy's (225,000 sq. ft, opened 1996)
- JCPenney (145,040 sq. ft, opened 2006)
- Nordstrom (150,500 sq. ft, opened 1987)
- http://westfield.com/corporate/retailer/us/mainplace.html, accessed August 18, 2006
- Galante, Mary Ann (July 3, 1988). "MainPlace: The Selling Job Isn't Over : The Reborn Mall's Developers Are Happy, but Some Tenants Are Disappointed". Los Angeles Times.
- Galante, Mary Ann (September 3, 1987). "Main Place Adds to Retail Space Race". Los Angeles Times.
- Horovitz, Bruce (May 22, 1985). "New Name, New Face for Fashion Square". Los Angeles Times.
- Howard, Bob (January 29, 2002). "Westfield to Gain Stakes in 3 Malls: The firm will acquire MainPlace in Santa Ana plus interests in Century City Shopping Center and Valencia Town Center in Santa Clarita in Rodamco buyout.". Los Angeles Times.
- Albright, Mark (June 1, 2005). "If you didn't call them 'shoppingtowns,' don't: Three local malls that called themselves by the Australian name will quietly drop the label.". Tampa Bay Times.
- Nguyen, Hang (August 2, 2006). "MainPlace mixes it up". Orange County Register.
- "New stores and eateries coming to Westfield MainPlace". Orange County Register. August 25, 2014. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "Macy's to close O.C. store". Orange County Register. June 21, 2012.
- Collins, Jeff (December 21, 2015). "Santa Ana's MainPlace mall sold in $1.1 billion deal including four other malls nationwide". Orange County Register.