Westfield San Francisco Centre
|Location||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Address||865 Market St|
|Opening date||October 1988|
|Developer||Sheldon Gordon - Gordon Group Holdings|
|Owner||Westfield Group &|
Brookfield Asset Management
|No. of stores and services||180+|
|No. of anchor tenants||2|
|Total retail floor area||1,564,533 sq ft (145,349.9 m2) (retail)|
250,000 sq ft (23,000 m2) (office)
|No. of floors||9 (5 in Nordstrom, 6 in Bloomingdale's)|
|Public transit access||Powell Street Station|
The Westfield San Francisco Centre is an upscale shopping mall located in San Francisco, California, managed by the Westfield Group and co-owned by Westfield and Brookfield Asset Management. It is anchored by Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's, and includes a Century Theatres multiplex and the Downtown Campus of San Francisco State University. It connects directly to the Powell Street station via an underground entrance on the concourse floor.
Originally developed by Sheldon Gordon (co-developer of The Forum Shops at Caesars and Beverly Center) the center opened in October 1991 as San Francisco Shopping Centre with approximately 500,000 square feet (46,000 m2) of space, the then-largest Nordstrom store (350,000 square feet) on the top several floors, the first spiral escalators in the United States, and connecting through to the adjoining Emporium-Capwell flagship store.
After a slow start, it soon became one of the top performing shopping centers in the country. In 1996, the adjoining Emporium (it had dropped the Capwell name by then) was shuttered in the wake of Federated Department Stores' buyout of its parent, Broadway Stores. The vacated store was temporarily used as a Macy's furniture store while it renovated its Union Square flagship in 1997.
In May 1997, Urban Shopping Centers, Inc., a Real Estate Investment Trust acquired a half-interest and management of the center. This was followed by Urban's own buyout by Rodamco North America N.V. (a European property firm primarily invested in the United States) in October 2000 and Rodamco's subsequent sale to a consortium including The Westfield Group in January 2002. Westfield acquired its initial 50% stake in the center at this time and soon bought the rest.
In 2003, Forest City, which had acquired redevelopment rights to the long-vacant Emporium store from Federated, reached an agreement with Westfield to jointly redevelop the two properties. Unvelied on was unveiled September 28, 2006, the newly expanded mixed-use Westfield San Francisco Centre designed by Kohn Pederson Fox architectural firm with Kevin Kennon as the Design Principal includes Bloomingdale's West Coast flagship store, a nine-screen Century Theatres multiplex theater featuring 2 XD screens, a 30,000 square feet Bristol Farms gourmet supermarket (closed January 2017), and the Downtown Campus for San Francisco State University in its 1.5 million+ ft² of space.
The redevelopment cost $440 million. Only the front facade and landmark dome of the original structure were preserved; the rest of the structure was completely gutted and replaced. Upon completion of the project, Forest City became an equity partner and along with Westfield assumed responsibility for day-to-day management. In March 2009, it was announced that Westfield San Francisco Centre shopping center was named as one of nine finalists vying for the title of “World’s Best Shopping Center” as part of the International Council of Shopping Centers Inc.’s inaugural “Best-of-the-Best” awards. Westfield San Francisco Centre ended up winning the "Best-of-the-Best" award for design and development; it was one of only four shopping centers in the world to win.
In 2011, the San Francisco Police Department considered putting a substation in the mall to prevent rampant shoplifting.
Anchors and major tenants
- Bloomingdale's (338,000 ft²; opened 2006)
- Nordstrom (350,000 ft²; opened 1988)
- Century Theatres & XD 9-screen multiplex (53,000 ft²)
- Crunchyroll (107,000 ft²)
- San Francisco State University Downtown Campus (107,000 ft²; opened 2006)
- "Westfield". Archived from the original on 2008-09-21. Retrieved 2008-01-21.
- "Shaping Communities Nationwide | WSP".
- Dorning, Amy Weaver (November/December 2006) "Department Store: 110-Year-Old Glamour" Archived 2007-10-20 at archive.today American Heritage Magazine
- Susan Saperstein. "Emporium Dome Celebrates 100". Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-23. Retrieved 2009-03-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "ICSC announces Best-of-the-Best Award winners". 18 May 2009. Retrieved 2021-08-17.
- Aldax, Mike (February 22, 2011). "Mall shoplifting pinches police". San Francisco Examiner. p. 5.
- "San Francisco State University Downtown Campus: Facilities & Services". cob.sfsu.edu. Retrieved 2021-09-15.
- Westfield San Francisco Centre Opening Fact Sheet
- Westfield San Francisco Centre Press Release
- International Council of Shopping Centers
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Westfield San Francisco Centre.|