Sarasota Square Mall
|Location||Sarasota, Florida, United States|
|Address||8201 South Tamiami Trail|
|Developer||Arlen Realty and Development Corporation|
|No. of stores and services||48|
|No. of anchor tenants||5 (3 open, 2 vacant)|
|Total retail floor area||1,002,983 sq ft (93,180.2 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
|Public transit access||Sarasota County Area Transit|
Arlen Realty and Development Corporation, a predecessor of CBL & Associates Properties, announced Sarasota Square Mall in 1976. Original tenants included Maas Brothers, JCPenney, and J. Byrons, with early tenants including Camelot Music, Kinney Shoes, and Morrison's Cafeteria. Sears was added in 1979. An expansion completed in 1988 added Parisian, which was the store's second location outside its home state of Alabama. Maas Brothers became Burdines in 1991, Burdines-Macy's in 2003, and Macy's in 2005.
In 1995, it was reported that Parisian had planned to sell its store to Dillard's. According to the plan, if Dillard's failed to acquire the Parisian store, it would instead build its own store adjacent to JCPenney, and the Parisian site would be sold to Jacobson's. Dillard's ultimately opened in the former Parisian building in 1996.
Westfield Group acquired the mall in 2003 from then-owners Coyote Group, and renamed it Westfield Shoppingtown Sarasota Square. The "Shoppingtown" was dropped in June 2005. In July 2019, Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield announced the shopping center would be renamed "Sarasota Square", dropping Westfield from its name and returning it to its original name before Westfield Group's acquisition of the property.
Dillard's closed its Westfield Sarasota Square store, along with a nearby store at DeSoto Square in Bradenton, in 2009. The Sarasota Square store was demolished and replaced with a Costco in 2012.
In 2015, Sears Holdings spun off 235 of its properties, including the Sears at Westfield Sarasota Square, into Seritage Growth Properties. Sears announced at the end of June 2017 that its store would be closing its Sarasota Square location as part of a plan to close 20 additional stores nationwide after announcing 72 closures on June 6, 2017. The store closed on September 18, 2017.
Macy's announced in January 2017 that they would be closing its Sarasota Square location as part of a plan a plan to close 68 stores nationwide. The store closed in March 26, 2017.
- "2 Stores Join Sarasota Square Mall". Sarasota Journal. December 21, 1976. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- "Sears Leads Sarasota Square's New Stores". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. August 7, 1980. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Hielscher, John (October 22, 1986). "Square Square Will Add 40 Stores". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- McKanic, Patricia Ann (November 2, 1995). "Parisian may leave Sarasota mall". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- "Square Square now has a Dillard department store". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. March 2, 1996. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Mayk, Lauren (September 10, 2003). "Westfield to acquire Sarasota Square Mall". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Laura Finaldi (July 12, 2019). "Exclusive: Westfield Sarasota Square mall to change name". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved November 8, 2019.
- "Dillard's closing Sarasota Square store on Dec. 5". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. October 6, 2009. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Hielscher, John (January 6, 2012). "Costco expected to boost retail in Southwest Florida". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Menderski, Maggie (June 23, 2017). "Sears to leave Westfield Sarasota Square". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Menderski, Maggie (January 4, 2017). "Sarasota Square losing Macy's". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2018.