Westhampton Beach, New York
|Westhampton Beach, New York|
|Incorporated Village of Westhampton Beach|
|• Total||3.0 sq mi (7.7 km2)|
|• Land||2.9 sq mi (7.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|• Density||570/sq mi (220/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0970921|
The Incorporated VIllage of Westhampton Beach is an incorporated village in the Town of Southampton, Suffolk County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the village population was 1,721.Aye
The village of Westhampton Beach was incorporated in 1928. In 1938, almost all summer homes on its barrier beach were obliterated by a hurricane resulting in 29 local deaths. In the mid-1990s, 15 historic houses were relocated by the Army Corps of Engineers. The homes were moved off a beach and out of harm's way. Westhampton Beach has its own police and fire departments.
Westhampton Beach is located at (40.808995, -72.646009).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2), of which 2.9 square miles (7.5 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 2.35%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,902 people, 1805 households, and 498 families residing in the village. The population density was 654.2 people per square mile (252.4/km²). There were 2,279 housing units at an average density of 783.9 per square mile (302.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 89.17% White, 4.63% African American, 0.42% Native American, 1.16% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 2.84% from other races, and 1.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.68% of the population.
There were 805 households out of which 22.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.1% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the village the population was spread out with 20.5% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 28.2% from 45 to 64, and 20.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 93.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.2 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $58,438, and the median income for a family was $74,412. Males had a median income of $55,625 versus $33,000 for females. The per capita income for the village was $38,500. About 6.8% of families and 9.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.9% of those under age 18 and 4.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Westhampton Beach Elementary School
- Westhampton Beach Middle School
- Westhampton Beach High School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Westhampton Beach village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Westhampton Beach.|