Westhill Senior High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Westhill Senior High School|
4501 Onondaga Boulevard
|Type||Public high school|
|Color(s)||Blue & White, originally Royal Blue & White|
Westhill Senior High School is a public high school located in the western suburbs of, and immediately adjacent to, the City of Syracuse, New York. It serves grades 9 through 12, primarily from the neighborhood of Westvale (located in the Town of Geddes), as well as portions of the Onondaga Hill area (located in the Town of Onondaga). Westhill Senior High School is part of the Westhill Central School District.
Established in 1963 as Westhill Junior-Senior High School serving grades 7-12 at the time, Westhill High School maintains a local reputation in the Syracuse area for having a high graduation rate, a large percentage of graduates attending college, and a successful athletic program.
More than 95% of Westhill graduates go on to college. According to the school's website, 98% of June 2006 Westhill graduates earned a Regents Diploma. In June, 1776 Regents Examinations, with approximately 1450 exams administered, Westhill students had an overall pass rate of 99%.
In the second year of the higher standards culminating in the Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation, 93% of Westhill's graduates in June 2006 reached such a level of achievement, and an additional 98% were awarded a Regents Diploma.
Westhill's interscholastic sports program offers 35 teams at various levels serving 24 varsity sports. With nearly 56% of Westhill high school students participating in interscholastic athletics, and with an overall varsity winning percentage of nearly 80%, Westhill teams won 2005-06 league championships in Boys' Cross Country, Girls' Tennis, Girls' Indoor Track, Boys' Basketball, Girls' Basketball, Girls' Outdoor Track, and Baseball. Section III Class B Championships were won by Football (2003 & 2004), the Girls' Tennis, Boys' Cross Country (under the coaching of Jerry Smith), Boys' Basketball, and Girls' Indoor Track teams.
Fifteen out of twenty varsity teams won New York State Public High School Athletic Association Academic Awards for maintaining the required number of students on the roster and having composite GPAs of 90% or higher. Fifteen Westhill seniors participated in all three varsity sport seasons, while collectively maintaining an overall GPA of more than 90%.
The Westhill Athletic Department has also laid claim to several State Championships, including:
- Girls' Soccer 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999
- Boys' Soccer 1992
- Girls' Basketball 1989, 1996
- Boys' Basketball 1997, 2010, 2014, 2015,2017
- Baseball 2009, 2010
Note: Westhill competed in Class C until 1995, and has been Class B since then. The Cross Country and Track teams, upon merging with Bishop Ludden High School, were in Class A for the 2010-2011 school year. They returned to Class B before the 2011 Cross Country season.
- Keith B. Alexander, the head of the National Security Agency (NSA)
- Dave Lemanczyk, Major League Baseball pitcher (1973-1980) 
- "WESTHILL HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- "District Comprehensive Information Report" (PDF). Westhill Central School District. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "District Comprehensive Information Report" (PDF). NYS District Report Card. Westhill Central Schools. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Kerr, Neil (27 Aug 2008). "Scholastic Football History". Syracuse.com. Advance Publications. Syracuse Media Group. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Bamford, James. "The Secret War." Wired. June 12, 2013. "2. Retrieved on June 14, 2013.