|Motto(s): A Growing Family Community|
Location of Westlake in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|• Total||3.71 sq mi (9.60 km2)|
|• Land||3.65 sq mi (9.45 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.15 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||4,659|
|• Density||1,277.14/sq mi (493.11/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Westlake is a city in Calcasieu Parish, in western Louisiana, United States, and is part of the Lake Charles Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 4,568 at the 2010 census. Westlake was incorporated in 1945.
Westlake is located in east-central Calcasieu Parish at  on the west bank of the Calcasieu River, just north of that river's entry into the water body of Lake Charles. The city of Lake Charles borders Westlake across the river, connected via the Interstate 10 bridge.(30.248455, -93.259047),
According to the United States Census Bureau, Westlake has a total area of 3.71 square miles (9.60 km2), of which 3.65 square miles (9.46 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.14 km2), or 1.49%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,568 people, 1,805 households, and 1,326 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,988.3 people per square mile (766.9/km²). There were 1,936 housing units at an average density of 824.6 per square mile (318.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.27% White, 17.95% black, 0.19% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.17% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.78% of the population.
There were 1,805 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.4% were married couples living together, 16.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.5% were non-families. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the city, the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,583, and the median income for a family was $39,057. Males had a median income of $42,500 versus $21,060 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,569. About 14.9% of families and 17.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.3% of those under age 18 and 20.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Stephen Dwight, incoming Republican member of the Louisiana House of Representatives for Calcasieu and Beauregard parishes; assumes District 35 seat in January 2016; city attorney for Westlake
- David LaFleur, professional American football player. He started as a tight end at Louisiana State University and later played for the Dallas Cowboys.
- Joshua Ledet landed in third place on American Idol season 11 and is a native of Westlake.
Public schools in the town are operated by the Calcasieu Parish Public School System.
List of mayors
- 1945 - 1950 Gus Warren Anderson
- 1950 - 1954 John Warren (Jack) Grout
- 1954 - 1957 Gus Warren Anderson (2.)
- 1957 - 1974 Charles M. Carroll
- 1974 - 1982 Wilridge P. Doucet
- 1982 - 2006 Dudley Dixon
- 2007–2014 Daniel Cupit
- 2015–present Robert "Bob" Hardey
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 2, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Westlake city, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.