Westlake Girls High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Westlake Girls High School|
|2 Wairau Road
(Let Courage Be Thy Test)
|Established||1958(co-ed), 1962 (single-sex)|
|Sister school||Westlake Boys High School|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||38|
|School roll||2188 (March 2015)|
Westlake Girls High School is a state girls secondary school, located to the west of Lake Pupuke in Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand. The school was established in 1958 as a coeducational school, changing to girls only in 1962 when its brother school, Westlake Boys High School, opened. Westlake Girls has a roll of approximately 2188 girls from Years 9 to 13 (ages 12 to 18), making one of the largest single-sex schools in New Zealand.
Westlake Girls and Boys
Physically merely a few hundred metres apart, Westlake Girls and Westlake Boys engage in an annual theatrical production together, several joint musical ensembles (including a joint choir, two orchestras, a concert band and a jazz band), and some social dances, among other things. The joint choir, "Choralation", has won the top award in the nationwide secondary schools choir competition The Big Sing for three years in a row, something never done before in the history of the competition. The two schools share a motto - Virtute Experiamur (Let Courage Be Thy Test).
Classes run Monday - Friday, four terms per year, usually beginning in late January/early February. Students attend a Form Class every morning from 8:45 - 9:05, during which time a roll check is performed. Two periods, 9:05 - 10:05 and 10:05 - 11:05 precede a morning break. From 11:25 - 12:25 Period 3 runs, followed by lunch. 1:15 - 2:15 and 2:15 - 3:15 are the last two periods of the school day. Year 13 students are permitted to leave the school grounds, are excused from wearing the school uniform. However, recently, year 13 will require to wear a senior uniform.They also receive study periods within their timetables.
- Art - Art Design, Art History, Painting, Photography, Art Practical, Printmaking, Sculpture
- Business Studies - Accounting, Accounting Introductory, Business Studies, Economics, Legal Studies
- English - Alternative, NCEA, Cambridge, Bridging
- Graphics & Design
- Information Technology - Computing, Information Technology, Introductory Computing
- Languages - Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Spanish
- Mathematics - Statistics and Probability, Pure, Double, Extension, Alternative, Mathematics with Calculus, Mathematics Statistics & Modeling, Statistics in Practice
- Media Studies
- Music - General or Extension
- Physical Education - General or Applied
- Science - Biology, Chemistry, Physics, General
- Social Sciences - Classics, History, History Cambridge, Social Studies, Geography, Travel and Tourism
- Technology - Fabric, Fabric Applied, Child Development, Food Technology, Hospitality, Hard Materials
- Te Reo
This section is still being edited.
- Art Design - Students who wish to take this course must choose it in Year 9. Students may be able to start this course in Year 10 (possibly Year 11 as well) if discussed with the Year 9 or 10 deans, and/or with the teacher in charge of this course.
- Child Development - This course is only for one year (Year 12). Anyone can take this course because there are no prerequisites. By the end of the course students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of the practical care and education of infants and young children.
- Health - Every student in Year 9 and 10 is required to take this course, it becomes optional from Year 11 onwards. Students may start this course again in Year 12 or 13. If they do, they will need to have 12 credits in English to be able to get in this course.
- Travel and Tourism - This course begins in Year 12. However, students may begin this course in Year 13. There are no prerequisites for this course.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 7 April 2015". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Westlake Girls High School website
- Education Review Office (ERO) reports for Westlake Girls High School